Reptile heat lamps effective for anything?

1. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

So, as part of my newly acquired 50 gallon from craigslist, two heat lamps came along (It was used for a single gecko, tank is immaculately clean, no odor).

The two bulbs (red tinted) are both 75 watts. Is there any way I could use these to help quickly grow a dwarf sag carpet? I am going to try to grow the dwarf sag emersed in an eco complete substrate. I'm no expert on lighting and was wondering if anyone could give me a big fat no, or the go ahead to try it. I suppose one risk is overheating, which might be mitigated with fans... which would cause evaporation... which would mean adding more water regularly... I dunno. Will I kill the DS? :)

2. atc84 Well Known Member Member

emersed or submersed? emersed means it grows out of the water, while submersed is fully underwater. You could grow it emersed if you kept the humidity pretty high, and it would grow faster.

Anyways, i'm pretty sure you meant submersed, so the 75 watt fixtures won't do anything unless it's the right spectrum of lighting, which is rated by Kelvin, or K. the butter zone is 6700K, which is commonly sold as "daylight" bulbs. If you can stick CFL's into the fixture, then you could find a very high wattage CFL on amazon that would work. Evaporation is reduced by having a clear cover over the tank, or by adding water more often. You'll get evaporation no matter how you light the tank, so i recommend having a cover, either glass or some type of plastic.

3. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Nope, I meant emersed. :) I'm aquascaping (or will be attempting to) before filling the tank.

I know about Kelvin ratings but have no means of figuring out what these bulbs are. I have some extra cfls rated for plant growth laying around, but wasn't sure if the heat lamps would help, hurt, or do nothing while I wait for DS runners to go out.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. atc84 Well Known Member Member

Ah. Sorry i thought i responded to this thread, but anyways yeah i have no experience with heat lamps. If i were to take a guess it would probably work for an emersed setup, but i have no idea the light properties of a heat lamp. Maybe it's online, you could also put the emersed plants outside to grow in natural sunlight, sorry i couldn't help you more. :(

5. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

It helps just to talk it through with someone! Honestly, I think I will just wait to buy a Finnex Ray 2. I'm afraid of setting things up to quickly and accidentally killing the plants. As the old adage goes, haste makes waste....