Reptile dome lighting for aquarium

1. sheenalee Member Member

Hello,
    I was wondering if one could use a reptile heat lamp (the dome with clamps) for an aquarium. I would just use a regular 60watt light bulb. Would it give off adequate light for a planted tank?

Thanks!

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I use the same setup for my 2.5 gal. I use CFL and LED bulbs, with a lighting temp of 6500 K (best for plants).

What size tank are you using it on?

3. sheenalee Member Member

[​IMG]

Using it on a 45 gallon

4. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Should be enough for low light plants! How tall is the tank?

5. sheenalee Member Member

28 inches

6. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You might have some trouble getting good light at the bottom of the tank. A second light may be needed.

That tank is beautiful, but it must be a pain to stock!

7. sheenalee Member Member

OK, I'll look into it. Thanks! Yeah haven't even started decorating it yet. Just have water and media cycling. Right now it's just home to my Betta.

8. oldsalt777 Well Known Member Member

Hello she...

This depends entirely on the plants you keep. The easy to grow species like Java fern, Anubias, any of the mosses and floating plants like Anacharis, Hornwort and Pennywort will likely do well. As long as the light is in the 5000 to 10000K range. They'll grow according to the amount of light they receive.

I keep these plants in nothing more than florescent lights from the hardware store. I just change the water regularly and have them in a tank with a lot of fish. The combination of pure water, moderate light and nutrients from the fish waste seems to do the trick.

Old

9. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I might move your betta to a smaller tank. I would think it is too high for most bettas to comfortably reach the surface :(

10. sheenalee Member Member

Yeah unfortunately his 10 gallon is being used for my baby Corydoras. I had him floating in a fry tank in my 36 gallon but he jumped ship. Then I had him in a bowl (I know, bad) it didn't last more then two days. So now he's in a tank at least with filtration and heat. He doesn't seem to mind it.