Repti Calcium for Snails?

1. ZeeZ Well Known Member Member

I've been having a bit of a problem with my snails. My snails' shells haven't been looking too great as of late, even though they have boiled cuttlebone in their tanks to eat directly from if they need to. I considered crushed seashells, but that would raise my kH as well as my pH, which is already high at 7.6. I don't want the pH to be raised any further, and RougeAgent suggested using calcium carbonate.

I also own two Fat Tailed Geckos and I always coat their food in this -

[​IMG]

Credit: http://www.reptile-food-direct.co.uk/acatalog/zoo_med_repti_calcium_D3.html (Click for more information)

This seems to be ONLY calcium carbonate with vitamin D3 added. Can I use this for the snails too?

2. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

I,personally, do not see there being an issue.

3. ploopy Member Member

I go to the drug store and buy the bottle of calcium carbonate and put a pill in each big tank and break them in half for smaller tanks.If you cant find any Pm me and I will get you a bottle and send it to you.If you are not for sure if you want to use the other stuff.I also put them in with my shrimp.

4. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

What aisle is that in?

5. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

It would be in the aisle with the vitamins and supplements.

6. ZeeZ Well Known Member Member

How much are the pills?

I think what I have should be perfectly fine for the snails and would benefit my RCS as well. Thanks for the feedback!

7. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

I have a question on that, do they need D3 with that or can they naturally break it down? I know with fatties and leos and a variety of others they need the whole D3, calcium and vitamin rutine, not sure about snails though.

8. ZeeZ Well Known Member Member

I don't know, but it's vitamins. Vitamins are usually good... I'm guessing the snails would appreciate all the vitamins they could get?

9. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

That depends on what vitamins they need, they may not need certain vitamins, and some may possibly kill them(you can overdose on a variety of vitamins). The calcium should be fine though.

10. Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

I fed my snails Hikari Crab Cuisine, but I don't keep them anymore. That might be worth trying.

11. ploopy Member Member

Zeez,not for sure on the price.I will look next time I make it up there and pick you a bottle up and send it to you{no charge}I will pm you when I get it.

12. Legures Member Member

I would suggest NOT getting pills with added vitamin D. Just my opinion from research and past experiences. I suggest liquid calcium or tums if you can't find the calcium pills. Of course if you use Tums, put it in a separate tank because it will make your water quality bad.

EDIT: Your reptile calcium can also be used. The liquid calcium I use is Kent Marine Liquid Calcium.

13. ZeeZ Well Known Member Member

I'd appreciate that, Ploopy!

How much of this would you guys recommend I use? A teaspoon per week? I don't know how much would be too much...

14. ploopy Member Member

I havent been up to the drugstore yet been busy,Will go tomorrow.What I use is calcium citrate not calcium carbonate my fault.When I drop a pill in there the shrimp immediately go to it and have it gone in 5 min.

15. ZeeZ Well Known Member Member

How much grams is a pill?

16. ploopy Member Member

Zeez,each pill is 400mg

17. ploopy Member Member

Zeez pm sent