Reproducing Java Fern

BillynJennifer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My Java Fern has a baby on two different of its blades. Is that a sign of a healthy plant in a healthy tank, or is it a last ditch effort to reproduce before it dies?

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
your java fern is fine. Wait for the plantlets to get about 3 inches and then pull them off the mother plant.

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That's normal behavior. When the baby leaves get to be enough, I separate the big leaf that they start from and lightly anchor it with a pebble to get another plant.

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can pull them off the leaf when the roots of the baby fern are about 1". You don't need to cut off the leaf if it's healthy.

BillynJennifer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You can pull them off the leaf when the roots of the baby fern are about 1". You don't need to cut off the leaf if it's healthy.
The leaf that they are attached to are very healthy looking leaves. I'm just going to clip the baby once it gets bigger.

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sometimes older leaves do send out babies before dying, but often its a good couple of weeks before the leaf shows any symptoms of deterioration.

Jocelyn Adelman

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It’s both....
Basically a plant adapting to a new environment.... think of it more as a “first ditch” effort from change, doesn’t mean you will lose any of the older leaves.

BillynJennifer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The plant itself looks to be in good condition, so I'm guessing the reproduction is due to the change from one tank to another.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom