Reproducing Java Fern

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by BillynJennifer, Apr 14, 2018.

1. BillynJennifer

BillynJennifer Valued Member Member

My Java Fern has a baby on two different of its blades. Is that a sign of a healthy plant in a healthy tank, or is it a last ditch effort to reproduce before it dies?

2. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

your java fern is fine. Wait for the plantlets to get about 3 inches and then pull them off the mother plant.

3. endlercollector

endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

That's normal behavior. When the baby leaves get to be enough, I separate the big leaf that they start from and lightly anchor it with a pebble to get another plant.

4. DarkOne

DarkOne Well Known Member Member

You can pull them off the leaf when the roots of the baby fern are about 1". You don't need to cut off the leaf if it's healthy.

5. OP
    OP
    BillynJennifer

The leaf that they are attached to are very healthy looking leaves. I'm just going to clip the baby once it gets bigger.

6. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

Sometimes older leaves do send out babies before dying, but often its a good couple of weeks before the leaf shows any symptoms of deterioration.

7. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

It’s both.... ;)
    Basically a plant adapting to a new environment.... think of it more as a “first ditch” effort from change, doesn’t mean you will lose any of the older leaves.

8. OP
    OP
    BillynJennifer

The plant itself looks to be in good condition, so I'm guessing the reproduction is due to the change from one tank to another.

9. SarahOfTheSevenSeas

SarahOfTheSevenSeas New Member Member

I was wondering this myself- good to hear the parent plant is ok :)

10. OP
    OP
    BillynJennifer

It seems like these little plantlets are growing much faster than the parent plant.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice