Replanning 55 gallon stocking

1. Airth

Airth Valued Member Member

After a few losses, I'm trying to keep my spirits up by planning out a new-ish 55 gallon tank stocking. This will revolve around some of the fish I already have while excluding the ones I've lost and/ or don't wish to raise again in the future.

My tank is moderately planted with a topfin 75 HOB and a sponge filter running.

I'd be looking at:
    an angelfish pair
    2 pearl gourami
    6 kuhli loaches
    6 ghost cats
    9 albino cories
    1 BN pleco
    1 albino rainbow shark
    1pictus catfish

If there's room still I was looking into maybe a school of cherry barbs.
    Are the above numbers alright? Should I add to any of the groups? Should I remove anything? Any other suggestions?

2. W

Wildside Valued Member Member

I'd skip the ghost catfish in a tank like that. Rainbow sharks are seriously spiteful, get big and will attack anything that looks even remotely like them. I'm not entirely convinced they would get on. They're easily stressed out. I personally wouldn't get a rainbow shark for this tank or at least would have to keep a serious eye on him. Ghost catfish are sensitive and can actually die from being stressed out by aggressive fish.

I love pictus catfish but you may also need to watch out with ghost cats depending on how big they are because they will eat smaller fish. On another note, BN plecos can sometimes eat and kill certain soft leaved plants like amazon swords on occasion (apparently it depends on the pleco).

The rest, I think should be fine and those are good numbers for the schooling fish.

3. FallenOwl

FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

I agree with Wildside, I have had a rainbow shark that bullied everything in the tank (even though they didn't look like him) so I would skip the rainbow shark. This is strictly my opinion, but I think you should do something like this:

A PROVEN Angel fish pair (2x Angel fish)
    3x Pearl gourami (1x male, 2x female)
    6-8x Kuhli loach
    6x Ghost catfish
    9x Albino cories
    1x BN pleco
    8-12x cherry barbs
    (I don't have experience with pictus catfish, but I read they can get big and eat smaller fish (BN pleco, Cherry barbs, small ghost catfish))

4. OP
    OP
    Airth

Thanks for the advice you two. =) I currently already have the ghosts, shark, and pictus. All are doing well with each other and have been for 3 or so months but I am still keeping an eye out.

According to the fishlore profile, the pictus gets to about 4 inches so size-wise I don't think it'll be able to eat anything else. All of my ghosts are 3+ inches already.

The only thing I've noticed that might be an issue is the shark sometimes chases the pictus. For the most part though, she's quite docile. She's afraid of the cories and goes to hide in her mossy tubes when they come sniffing around her. lol

No one's been bothering the ghosts. Occasionally someone will swim through the middle of their school and they'll part, but they return fairly quickly to each other.

I only recently got the pictus, and only after watching Miss shark for a good while to see what her temperament was like (and doing research of course). If needed in the future, I will definitely rehome the pictus.

Thanks again for the advice. =)

5. W

Wildside Valued Member Member

Well there's no telling with some fish. If you tap in to a search engine is X compatible with Y, you'll always find one person who says it's fine and have never had an issue and another who says they massacred all the others in the aquarium.

Sounds like you were lucky with their temperaments! Good luck with the rest of your tank!

6. OP
    OP
    Airth

lol Indeed. It all depends on the temperament of the individual fish. =) I always observe them both in the store and when I get them home before deciding if a specific fish will do well with them. So far, no problems (knock on wood).