Replacing substrate in a fully stocked tank.

nickbiaz

I have a 60 gallon African cichlid tank with white sand that in my opinion is ugly. petco has CaribSea Aragonite Aquarium Sand on sale and I want to replace it with that do you think it would look ok if I took out some of the sand and added in 20 pounds of the new sand

Heron

Well Known
It should be ok but I would have your syphon on hand. When you disturb the old sand it will release particles of uneaten food or waste that are trapped in it. You can then run the syphon near the bottom to remove the waste. Make sure you give the new sand a good rinse to remove fine particles so you don't end up with cloudy water.

OP
N

nickbiaz

Heron said:
It should be ok but I would have your syphon on hand. When you disturb the old sand it will release particles of uneaten food or waste that are trapped in it. You can then run the syphon near the bottom to remove the waste. Make sure you give the new sand a good rinse to remove fine particles so you don't end up with cloudy water.
thanks I have been working on cleaning my sand i need to get a smaller siphon because the rocks get in the way.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom