Replacing Sponge Filter

Mary765

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hey all.

My current sponge filter (classic, cheap one powered by an air pump.. You know the ones) needs replacing. I had to take some of the sponge off to kick-start another tank, and now it's grown some white stuff.. So I've ordered a replacement sponge.

Question is, how can I replace it without hurting the tanks cycle? Usually I would leave one sponge next to the other for a while but I'm worried the white stuff might transfer to the new sponge.

Attachments

grump299

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I’m sorry I don’t use sponge filter I plan for on it waiting for one too get here from amazon for my betta tank. But anyway can you not just rinse the white stuff off with some tank water what is the white stuff on it. I understand stood you will almost never have to replace the sponge until it falls apart.

OP
Mary765

Mary765

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
grump299 I know you shouldn't replace the sponge filter, but I really don't have much of a choice.

I've tried washing it off in old tank water, I really have, but it didn't work. Since then, the white has only spread. I don't know what it is. A lot has changed in my tank recently so it could be any number of things..

grump299

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok as I said I have never used one but if you do need to replace it you can put the new one in about a month befor you remove the old old one to seed it first. Do you th No the white stuff will spread to the new one.

OP
Mary765

Mary765

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
grump299 said:
Ok as I said I have never used one but if you do need to replace it you can put the new one in about a month befor you remove the old old one to seed it first. Do you th No the white stuff will spread to the new one.
I don't know if the white will spread..

New Threads