Question Replacing Neon Tetras

Kobiashi3

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So I added 6 Neon Tetras to my 29 gallon that has 7 Rhombo Barbs and 6 Zebra Danios that have been in the tank for a bit. So I acclimated the Neons to the tank for about an hour and dropped them in. As soon as they hit the water the Danios began to chase and bully them. Then the Barbs began to chase and attempt to eat them. I immediately fed everyone in hopes to settle the crew down but I lost two Neons almost within minutes after everyone ate. I turned off the lights an hour and a half earlier than the timer to try and settle the remaining Neons down. When I woke up this morning I didn’t see any of the Neons so I prepared to search and remove the little guys after lunch. I do not have another tank so I couldn’t move them out of harms way. All of a sudden while eating 3 of them appeared looking very good and vibrant. I was happy to see that somehow they survived! The rest of the tank seems to be ok with them now and are leaving them alone. I know they need a decent sized school to l thrive and survive so my question is if I get more to join them will the same thing happen again or will the bullies leave them alone? I don’t want to buy more to get killed but I also don’t want the remaining 3 to be stressed alone. What should I do? The danios are fairly small and the some of the barbs are about at full size. It’s a community tank and everyone else has played nice with each other. They chase each other from time to time but nothing aggressive till yesterday. Sorry for the long post but I wanted advice on what to do and I felt the backstory needed to be explained.

Attachments

Best Answer - View mattgirl's answer

Fisheye

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Adding new fish protocol:

Quarantine new fish
Turn lights out when adding new fish and keep them out til the next day
Don't feed until the next day

Best to research all livestock to make sure they are compatible temperment and housing requirements.

You could return the remaining 3 neons.

Sorry things worked out as they did.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
Maybe when you get more you can start them out in a breeder net for the first few days and maybe just let one out at a time. By doing it this way maybe the danios and barbs won't see them as new fish. Hopefully since they have gotten used to the original 3 adding one at a time will prevent the frenzy you saw when you added the first ones.

When I added my last neons to fill out my shoal of them a couple of my other species of tetras chased them for a few minutes but quickly just left them alone. The type of fish wasn't new to them since I already had 5 of them in there.

OP
K

Kobiashi3

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
mattgirl said:
Maybe when you get more you can start them out in a breeder net for the first few days and maybe just let one out at a time. By doing it this way maybe the danios and barbs won't see them as new fish. Hopefully since they have gotten used to the original 3 adding one at a time will prevent the frenzy you saw when you added the first ones.

When I added my last neons to fill out my shoal of them a couple of my other species of tetras chased them for a few minutes but quickly just left them alone. The type of fish wasn't new to them since I already had 5 of them in there.
That’s not a bad idea. I wanted to purchase a breeder net anyway because one of my danios is carrying eggs so it would be good to have one if they survived. How many neons would you suggest to add to the 3 if they survive and how soon should I get them for a breeder net?

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
Kobiashi3 said:
That’s not a bad idea. I wanted to purchase a breeder net anyway because one of my danios is carrying eggs so it would be good to have one if they survived. How many neons would you suggest to add to the 3 if they survive and how soon should I get them for a breeder net?
I wouldn't be afraid to end up with 9 or 10 of them. To end up with Danio fry you may want to consider moving the danios to a tank with marbles for a substrate and remove them as soon as they are done. Danios scatter their eggs and unless you can siphon them out of a community tank they will be eaten.

OP
K

Kobiashi3

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
mattgirl said:
I wouldn't be afraid to end up with 9 or 10 of them. To end up with Danio fry you may want to consider moving the danios to a tank with marbles for a substrate and remove them as soon as they are done. Danios scatter their eggs and unless you can siphon them out of a community tank they will be eaten.
I don’t have an additional tank at the moment and no where to put one right now anyway so I wouldn’t be able to move the danios. The 3 amigos are still alive and doing well so I ordered a breeder insert that will be delivered tomorrow. I’m prob going to grab 7 more Neons tomorrow and let them stay in the insert for a few days to acclimate and do your suggestion.

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would say Neon Tetra is not an ideal companion for Barbs and Danios as these fish exhibit more robust, active and chasing behaviours which will stress Neons.

New Threads