10 Gallon Tank Replacing My Pleco's Bioload?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnb1984

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Great news! My friend finally decided to take my Common Pleco (about 6") from my 10g tank and put it in his 55g tank.(well established 2-3 years).
Will his tank be enough for the pleco? He's planning on upgrading within the next year or so. I don't know how big he's going tho.
Now I want to restock, but don't want to have an even bigger bio-load than with my pleco. How many neons could I get so to not affect it? (I was hoping for at least 6-8) And after they've adjusted for a while I'd like to add a couple Otos, I've read that they should be in a group min of 3?
I favor neons to otos, so I'd like to keep them as low as possible (but safe for them). If the otos are just too much then I'd consider corys. I just like the otos cuz they have the added algae eating. (not that its a big problem for my 10 gallon tank.)

Sorry for the countless questions. And Thanks for all the help everyone!!!

I should also point out, that I'm not trying to match the bio-load of the pleco. I just don't want to go even heavier than what it was. Less is more! lol

Last edited:

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi Jnb,

According to your aquarium info, you have a betta in your 10 gal? If you do, then at this point I'd suggest not to add anymore fish because a betta prefers or is advised to have its own tank to himself because of aggression issues. But if you don't have a betta in there, a school of neons (6-7 of them) would be all you can have in there unless you upgrade to a bigger tank.

EDIT: Btw, this link should help you with your betta:
https://www.fishlore.com/Articles/betta-fish-care-guide.htm

Last edited:

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I would say more of a small shoal of 4-5 pygmy cories, but always have a backup plan if the betta decides to attack them. Corydoras are bottom feeders that will mostly stay out of the betta's way, but neons might freak the betta out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Weekly

Votes: 63 65.6%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 13 13.5%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 18 18.8%

Top Bottom