Replacing Intake Sponge

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by abarb, Mar 21, 2019.

1. abarbWell Known MemberMember

I have an intake sponge that keeps getting clogged so I have to clean it every week. It is getting annoying so I’m thinking about changing it to a different one. Can I do this without throwing away too much bacteria? I haven’t done any filter cleanings besides this sponge recently and throwing away filter floss every 2-3 days. In the filter I have a sponge and plastic pot scrubbers.

2. SixThreeOhWell Known MemberMember

Isn't that the point of an intake sponge?

3. FeohwWell Known MemberMember

That just means it's doing its job. I cleaned mine on my aquaclear once a week during a water change. If you want one that will clog up less often, a normal aquaclear sponge has worked for me. I just cut a suitable hole in the middle for the intake to go onto.

I never thought about the bacteria when I replaced mine. I never bothered as the filter itself, the substrate and every surface should hold plenty of bacteria.

If you want to keep the bacteria on it, you could squeeze it or some of it into the filter temporarily if it will fit or you could buy a cheap sponge filter that could hold either your old or new sponge. Then run that alongside the other filter until the sponge gains bacteria and the old one isn't needed.

4. abarbWell Known MemberMember

It gets clogged too easily and I can’t get all the stuff out.

5. IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

What brand/type of pre-filter sponge are you using?

What model filter is it attached to?

I ask because foam sponges have different porosity measured in pores per inch (PPI).

The more PPI, the finer the foam and will clog faster. Less PPI and it is more coarse and takes longer to clog.

Depending on what your using now, I may have some suggestions to alternatives that may better suit your situation.

6. abarbWell Known MemberMember

I don’t know what type it is. It’s just a sponge that I found in my aquarium supplies. It is kind of coarse but it’s too big so I can’t get the stuff out and it clogs again. Some of my fish poop a lot so it clogs the filter.

7. IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

If there is a Petsmart nearby, try using a pack off these......

Also, you may want to try the ATI Hydro Max III. It comes with adapters to fit almost all brands of filter intake tubes.

Here is mine....

It can be used for high flow applications.

I had it on my AC110 HOB filter. Now it is on my Hydor 600 canister.

Works great and does not restrict flow, even when muck starts to build up on it.

8. abarbWell Known MemberMember

Can I just use a thin sponge and glue it so it can fit on the intake? The filter is an aqueon 30

Attached Files:

9. IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

I would try to use a plastic zip tie or cable tie to secure it to the intake tube.

That way it is removable.

In the 2nd and 3rd pics, you can see the black zip tie I used.

Depending on the glue, it may work as well.

Are you keeping Oscar's or goldfish?

If everything is getting mucked up so quickly, you may need a 2nd filter running, or a sponge filter tucked into a back corner.

10. abarbWell Known MemberMember

Attached Files:

11. IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

yep. That would appear to be a great DIY set-up!

I asked about having an oscar or goldfish because you mentioned the large amount of bio-load being drawn into the filter.

If you get a sponge filter, I would suggest one with a coarse foam. They flow better and do not constrict as easy vs. a fine foam sponge filter.

ATI Hydro "Pro" Sponge filters are great for that. Uses the same material as the black sponge in the pics I posted.

Kensfish.com, jehmco.com and American Aquarium Products have the best selection and prices for ATI products.