Replacing incandescent bulbs with fluorescent

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by charitystripe, Dec 23, 2012.

1. c

charitystripe New Member Member

I wanted to replace my 2 Incandescent bulbs with fluorescent bulbs in my Aqeuon 10 gallon. I don't know how many watts the current incandescent ones are, but I wanted to replace them with the aqeuon mini compact fluorescent 10w 50/50 bulbs. Is 10w too little, since i have a java fern and anubia?

2. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  3. J

JoannaB Well Known Member Member

You are getting two bulbs with 10 watt each right? So that's a total of 20 watts in a 10 gallon tank that is plenty. You will even be able to grow plants that require more light then those I think. I did the same upgrade in my Aqueon 10, but actually found that it was too bright for a quarantine tank IMHO, so I just used one of the two bulbs and am keeping the other part of the fixture empty. As a result it looks significantly darker in one part of the tank, but I think it looks ok, and I was worried that too bright might be a bit too stressful for the fish in quarantine. I really liked the difference in light - the incandescent light was too yellow and in my opinion ugly, and was inadequate for photo taking. Enjoy your new lights!

4. QQQUUUUAADDD

QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

The only thing is, 1/2 is daylight and the other 1/2 is actinic. The actinic shouldn't do anything besides grow algae. I'd go with the bulb Matt linked. I have one over my 5 and it works very well.

5. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

If it grows algae it grows plants. Actinics aren't good because they stick in the blue part of the spectrum but they do help to grow plants. Definitely go with something full spectrum/daylight.

Here's a cool writeup I found on the subject.
    Note 420nm is around actinic range.

From  

6. J

JoannaB Well Known Member Member

Oh I didn't notice that the bulbs you are looking at have actinic light for half. The ones I got were Zoo Med Ultrasun Cf Bulb 6500k, 10-Watt.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice