Replacing hob filter on aqueon 10 gallon

luluvontepes

im looking into getting the aqueon 10gal led aquarium kit but im not a fan of the hob that comes with the kit. id like to switch the filter to a marineland penguin 75/100 hob but im not sure if the hood that comes with the kit will accommodate the larger filter? does anyone have this tank kit? are there pop out sections large enough for a new filter?

Betta'sAnonymous

luluvontepes said:
im looking into getting the aqueon 10gal led aquarium kit but im not a fan of the hob that comes with the kit. id like to switch the filter to a marineland penguin 75/100 hob but im not sure if the hood that comes with the kit will accommodate the larger filter? does anyone have this tank kit? are there pop out sections large enough for a new filter?
I have this kit but couldn't tell you if the pop-out is wide enough for the Penguin. I know there is extra room for the filter it comes with, though. I replaced it with a sponge filter for my betta, though.

Well, if i was home, i guess i could measure it, but won't be there for another 9-10 hrs.

luluvontepes

Betta'sAnonymous said:
I have this kit but couldn't tell you if the pop-out is wide enough for the Penguin. I know there is extra room for the filter it comes with, though. I replaced it with a sponge filter for my betta, though.

Well, if i was home, i guess i could measure it, but won't be there for another 9-10 hrs.
can i inconvenience you to measure it when you get home pretty please? that would help me sooo much! i already know to dimensions for the penguin filter, i really just need to know if the hole is big enough (especially cause i found the filter online for $10!! cant beat it!) i plan on ordering my tank this thursday.

RayClem

The Aqueon starter kit comes with an Aqueon Quietflow 10 filter which is rated at 100 gph. Aqueon says the filter is suitable for up to a 20 gallon tank; I would consider it to be ideally suited for a 10 gallon tank.

I have used many types of filters including the Aqueon Quietflow filters. I am using several of the Aqueon filters as well a couple of others in my current tanks. There are some things I love about the Quietflolw design and some things I don't.

The filters have the water pump submerged in the aquarium which means the pump primes automatically when it is powered up. That is also supposed to reduce noise. That is great. Unfortunately, if you need to remove the inlet tube from the aquarium for cleaning, the process is more difficult than the intake of the Marineland. I run prefilter sponges on all my intake tubes, so they have to be cleaned periodically.

Because the pump is inside the aquarium, there is extra space in the filter box for biomedia, carbon, Purigen and the like.

The filter comes with a blue grid that is supposed to provide some surface for bacteria growth. However, I find that it is an ideal backer for generic filter pads so you do not have to purchase the Aqueon filter cartridges.

The outflow device has channels that also provide surface area for biological growth and allow for oxygen contact, so it acts sort of like the Penquin biowheel without being a moving part that will eventually need to be replaced.

I also like the outflow design as there are slots for specialized filter media to remove phosphates, nitrates, etc. Although Aqueon sells precut media for that purpose, it is much cheaper to purchase a larger sheet and cut your own. I have used nitrate removal pads and phosphate removal pads. My favorite chemical filter is PolyFilter pads. I purchase 4" x 8" sheets and cut strips to fit the slots at the outflow.

Thus, before spending your money on a Marineland filter, I suggest you set up the tank using the Aqueon filter that comes with the starter kit. If you do not like the Aqueon filter, you can always purchase another filter later.

luluvontepes

RayClem said:
The Aqueon starter kit comes with an Aqueon Quietflow 10 filter which is rated at 100 gph. Aqueon says the filter is suitable for up to a 20 gallon tank; I would consider it to be ideally suited for a 10 gallon tank.

I have used many types of filters including the Aqueon Quietflow filters. I am using several of the Aqueon filters as well a couple of others in my current tanks. There are some things I love about the Quietflolw design and some things I don't.

The filters have the water pump submerged in the aquarium which means the pump primes automatically when it is powered up. That is also supposed to reduce noise. That is great. Unfortunately, if you need to remove the inlet tube from the aquarium for cleaning, the process is more difficult than the intake of the Marineland. I run prefilter sponges on all my intake tubes, so they have to be cleaned periodically.

Because the pump is inside the aquarium, there is extra space in the filter box for biomedia, carbon, Purigen and the like.

The filter comes with a blue grid that is supposed to provide some surface for bacteria growth. However, I find that it is an ideal backer for generic filter pads so you do not have to purchase the Aqueon filter cartridges.

The outflow device has channels that also provide surface area for biological growth and allow for oxygen contact, so it acts sort of like the Penquin biowheel without being a moving part that will eventually need to be replaced.

I also like the outflow design as there are slots for specialized filter media to remove phosphates, nitrates, etc. Although Aqueon sells precut media for that purpose, it is much cheaper to purchase a larger sheet and cut your own. I have used nitrate removal pads and phosphate removal pads. My favorite chemical filter is PolyFilter pads. I purchase 4" x 8" sheets and cut strips to fit the slots at the outflow.

Thus, before spending your money on a Marineland filter, I suggest you set up the tank using the Aqueon filter that comes with the starter kit. If you do not like the Aqueon filter, you can always purchase another filter later.
so im looking at filter media for the aqueon kit and so far i have aquaclear foam pads, a bag of biomax and the marineland bonded filter pad (cut to size). does that seem like a good combo for that filter? will a sponge and bag of biomax even fit? also the floss batting i picked out is 1inch thick. is that too thick for this filter? im trying to do this right for my fishies. i dont plan on using any carbon except for emergencies because i plan on planting java moss and java fern. ive been reading that if you have plants you shouldnt use carbon.

RayClem

luluvontepes said:
so im looking at filter media for the aqueon kit and so far i have aquaclear foam pads, a bag of biomax and the marineland bonded filter pad (cut to size). does that seem like a good combo for that filter? will a sponge and bag of biomax even fit? also the floss batting i picked out is 1inch thick. is that too thick for this filter? im trying to do this right for my fishies. i dont plan on using any carbon except for emergencies because i plan on planting java moss and java fern. ive been reading that if you have plants you shouldnt use carbon.
Use the filter cartridge that comes with the kit as a template to cut a piece of the 1" thick filter mat. There is also a little slot in the bottom of the cartrdige than you will need to cut as well to allow the new mat to fit all the way to the bottom of the filter box. Once you do that, squeeze the filter mat into the blue backing and then slide them into the slot in the filter. I do not have a Aqueon 10, so I do not know how much extra room there will be, but I would think you could cut a piece of AC filter sponge to fit ahead of the mat or use a small bag of biomedia. There may not be room for both, but either should provide plenty of surface for growth of bacteria, especially since the outflow design provides lots of surface area.

If you want even more surface for bacteria growth, you can add a prefilter sponge, but remember that cleaning the prefilter is not as easy as it might be with a filter that has the pump in the filter box.

luluvontepes

RayClem said:
Use the filter cartridge that comes with the kit as a template to cut a piece of the 1" thick filter mat. There is also a little slot in the bottom of the cartrdige than you will need to cut as well to allow the new mat to fit all the way to the bottom of the filter box. Once you do that, squeeze the filter mat into the blue backing and then slide them into the slot in the filter. I do not have a Aqueon 10, so I do not know how much extra room there will be, but I would think you could cut a piece of AC filter sponge to fit ahead of the mat or use a small bag of biomedia. There may not be room for both, but either should provide plenty of surface for growth of bacteria, especially since the outflow design provides lots of surface area.

If you want even more surface for bacteria growth, you can add a prefilter sponge, but remember that cleaning the prefilter is not as easy as it might be with a filter that has the pump in the filter box.
thank you for all youre help and knowledge. i am also planning on adding java fern and java moss so i dont plan on using any chemical filtration. ive been doing so much research im dreaming about fish tanks lol. hopefully all my work adds up to a lovely new tank. :)

RayClem

luluvontepes said:
thank you for all youre help and knowledge. i am also planning on adding java fern and java moss so i dont plan on using any chemical filtration. ive been doing so much research im dreaming about fish tanks lol. hopefully all my work adds up to a lovely new tank. :)
Doing your reasearch first is ideal. Too many folks wait until they have a disaster and then start their research.

Betta'sAnonymous

luluvontepes said:
can i inconvenience you to measure it when you get home pretty please? that would help me sooo much! i already know to dimensions for the penguin filter, i really just need to know if the hole is big enough (especially cause i found the filter online for $10!! cant beat it!) i plan on ordering my tank this thursday.
I measured it, looks to be 7 inches wide by about 2.5 inches deep.

As mentioned above, i would at least give the filter it comes with a shot. I only replaced it because my betta was not a fan of the flow at all. That guy was pretty finicky about that stuff. Seemed a decent filter though. Think it even came with an extra sponge to place in the outflow after the cartridge for extra BB storage.

luluvontepes

Betta'sAnonymous said:
I measured it, looks to be 7 inches wide by about 2.5 inches deep.

As mentioned above, i would at least give the filter it comes with a shot. I only replaced it because my betta was not a fan of the flow at all. That guy was pretty finicky about that stuff. Seemed a decent filter though. Think it even came with an extra sponge to place in the outflow after the cartridge for extra BB storage.
THANK YOU so much for measuring that out for me. and i am going to try modding the filter it comes. im going to try to use the aquaclear sponge in the corner somewhere, and some fluval biomax. also i found some marineland bonded filter pads that are huge and cheap. also im opting out of regular carbon use but will have an addable bag for emergencies.

mimo91088

I like where you're going. But I liked the original plan. Marineland makes a superior filter and have lots of media room.

luluvontepes

mimo91088 said:
I like where you're going. But I liked the original plan. Marineland makes a superior filter and have lots of media room.
im not 100% sure it will fit

mimo91088

Top Bottom