Replacing Fish

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by stiglitz, Aug 9, 2015.

1. stiglitzWell Known MemberMember

My 55g has been running for a while. The filters are very mature and there's no doubt the aquarium is fully cycled.

Really the only thing that's been in it for the past month is 4 adult Pictus catfish. Do you think if I removed the Pictus and straight after put in 6 Corydoras I'd have an ammonia spike, or do you think 6 corys would produce waste equivalent to the Pictus, and I'd be fine?

If you have any other suggestions regarding the pace at which I stock, please share.

Thanks in advance.

2. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

I think the cories are a lower bioload than the pictus being they are only 2" or so, whereas the pictus are 5" or more.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. stiglitzWell Known MemberMember

Thanks! Yeah the Pictus are pretty long and their whiskers are amazing, it's sad to see them go
    In that case do you think I'd be able to get away with more fish or should I not risk it?

4. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

I'd put the six cories in and monitor water parameters for a few days to make sure there are no ammonia or nitrite spikes before putting more fish in. Made the mistake of putting 10 fish in at one time into my 75g and had 0.50 ammonia the next day and a subsequent mini-cycle. One of the more sensitive fish, an apistogramma didn't make it :/

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

I agree, I think the 6 cories should be fine right away but I wouldn't add any more yet. If in a few days your parameters remain stable you should be alright adding a few more fish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

6. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

You could always add Sechem Stability just to be sure and to deal with any mini cycle issues.

7. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Agreed with the above posts, the cories should be fine.