Replacing filters. Question

1. str8shooter Member Member

I need help with knowing when to replace HOB filters. I was told to use them until there basicly falling apart. Is that right? when I do replace the filter I only have one HOB so would that impact my tank since im takeing the only filter bacteria colony and replacing it with a new filter with no bacteria.
    Thanks.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Marie1 Well Known Member Member

What kind of filter is it? You only want to replace the mechanical part in the filter. Not the bio. And you can use the mechanical until it is literally falling apart. If this is not possible with your filter, replace half of what you have. By changing half, there should be enough bacteria to prevent any water parameter changes.

3. Viriam Karo Well Known Member Member

Let's see. If you're having mechanical issues (with the motor or circuitry or something), there's no problem getting a new filter and just putting ALL of the media from the first filter into the second one.

If your filter media itself is falling apart, you can add new media into the media area (if there's room) and wait for a month for the new media to seed properly, and then take the old media out. Or you can take the old media out more gradually if you want to really make sure there won't be a mini cycle. Or like Marie1 said, you can cut your media in half so there's more room and then add new media to seed the new media.

4. str8shooter Member Member

The media im useing is a tetra whisper pad and it almost falling apart but idk if theres room for another pad in the filter. So I should cut half the pad and keep it in the filter and add a new pad?

5. str8shooter Member Member

I think I have something confused the bio part is the sponge and the mechanical part is the filter pad right?

6. str8shooter Member Member

I mean the bio is the filter pad and the mechanical is the sponge