Replacing Filter Cartridge 10 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by chalovskii, Mar 7, 2019.

1. chalovskiiNew MemberMember

Hi All,

I have an Aqueon Quietflow 20 for my 10g tank fully cycler with some happy fish living in it for about a week now. I was wondering when and how should I be changing the cartridge. The light on the filter came on but I removed it because I don’t think it’s in bad shape to toss out yet. It’s dirty but the flow is not going around it. Does anyone have any suggestions on when to change it? Or should I just rinse it in tank water during water change? Also I have a sponge in the front where the water comes out, should I be cleaning that routinely?

Thanks in advance.

2. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Rinse everything in tank water weekly, only replace it when it's falling apart

3. CelestialpearlValued MemberMember

When you do water changes, save some water in a bucket and swish the filter around in it to get the dirt out.

Filter media lasts a really long time(years). I have the old QuietFlow 20, before the lights came out on them. It may be that whatever sensor it uses has a little gunk over it. If you know where that could be just take a toothbrush or paper towel and gently scrub the area.

Now you will exhaust the activated carbon inside the filter over time, however that definitely should not make the sensor go off. The activated carbon is not an essential part of a filter, but rather an accessory component that helps pull out extra chemicals and such from the water when we add them such as medications.

4. chalovskiiNew MemberMember

The light is strictly a time thing. It goes off every 6 weeks from my understanding what I read about it in the manual. It just had two batteries. I think 6 week changes to cartridge is a bit much. I will clean both on the weekend when I do my water change. Thanks for your help!

Thanks I will do that during my water change.

5. ystroutWell Known MemberMember

NEVER change the sponge or bioballs/ceramic bio rings. You'll instantly lose your cycle. If you're using carbon, replace that monthly.

Just suck some water out of your tank into a bucket, squeeze the sponge out until there's no more gunk in it, then put it back in the filter and you're good to go.

6. chalovskiiNew MemberMember

My Filter hangs on the back. I don’t think I have the things you listed. I just have a sponge in the outlet and a cartridge in the back. But thanks for your feedback!

7. firesflighttWell Known MemberMember

i have an aqueon HOB, too. if you are really worried about losing your cycle via changing the cartridge, cut off the fabric on the cartridge and put it into the filter. most of the BB will be on the sponge, but a small part of it may be on the cartridge. replace carbon monthly, carbon loses effectiveness after a month.
    i learned a lot of stuff from this thread: Using Carbon In Filters

8. TheMadScientistValued MemberMember

I use my quietflow filters till their beyond falling apart . I clean them remove the carbon . I have other forms of filtration on the tanks with them so I wash them completely clean... Mine are not my primary sources for beneficial bacteria

9. chalovskiiNew MemberMember

You cut open the cartridge to remove the carbon? Do you stuff carbon back in? I just did a water change and cleaned the sponge and cartridge in a bucket with tank water. Will keep an eye out.

10. TheMadScientistValued MemberMember

The light is a joke . It's for overflow to let you know if their overflowing the spill ways. Which means their full of gunk . My lights where going of every other day I got the 55s and 75 filters

11. chalovskiiNew MemberMember

Ya I took the light off. It was annoying to to install to begin with. How do you clean your filter?

12. TheMadScientistValued MemberMember

Nah only time I used carbon to remove medicine from the water. I trimmed the front of them off .So it's only the back sides. A couple of my cartidges are over a year old now

Since each of my tanks have sponges .Or undergravel filters and my axolotl tank also has a canister . I rinse all my quiet flows in the high pressure setting on my shower head. I got well water. I use my quiet flows strictly for solid removals .I got bioballs in the backs of them all. I leave everything else on them alone except for quarterly tank tear downs

Like this
    But I only recommend this if you have other forms of filtration for bacteria to live on

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2019
  13. IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

@chalovskii , this link to a thread posted in the filters section of the freshwater forum may be of interest to you,
    DIY Media Guide For Top Fin Silenstream, Aquaclear And Other Hob Filters

Your model of Aqeuon 20 filter is not given as an example in that thread, but it will point you in the right direction.

You had responded to another member's comment about not having bio-rings and sponges since you have a HOB. The link I gave actually shows you examples of how to add all of that your for filter, usually all for less than the price of a box of replacement cartridges.

14. chalovskiiNew MemberMember

Thank you. I will read through it! I posted in the wrong area to begin with so I couldn’t find anything about filters.....Duh! Thanks again.