Replacing Filter Cartridge With Sponge.

Fljoe

I am going to replace the stock cartridges with filter sponge. Should I wait till after the cycle process is complete? How long should I keep the old cartridges with the good bacteria in with the new sponge?
Thanks

SamAPFish

I would say you should keep half of the stock cartridges in the filter, and then put the rest as a sponge, so your tank doesn’t crash. If you have another filter dedicated to bio media, then just change it, but I’m assuming you don’t have one.

Fljoe

SamAPFish said:
I would say you should keep half of the stock cartridges in the filter, and then put the rest as a sponge, so your tank doesn’t crash. If you have another filter dedicated to bio media, then just change it, but I’m assuming you don’t have one.
I only have the HOB Top Fin silent stream 75. I will also add bio media to the filter.

mattgirl

How far into the cycling process are you? If it is close to done I would wait until it is complete.

What you will want to do when you make the switch is cut the fiber off the plastic frame. Toss the frame and the enclosed carbon. Put that piece of fiber in the HOB with all the new media. It will help seed your new media.

Fljoe

mattgirl said:
How far into the cycling process are you? If it is close to done I would wait until it is complete.

What you will want to do when you make the switch is cut the fiber off the plastic frame. Toss the frame and the enclosed carbon. Put that piece of fiber in the HOB with all the new media. It will help seed your new media.
Ok thanks. It’s been 2 weeks. I think I got wrong bio media?

mattgirl

Fljoe said:
Ok thanks. It’s been 2 weeks. I think I got wrong bio media?
You are pretty early into the cycle so you may want to go ahead and make the switch now and cycle with the better media. What kind of bio-media did you get?

Fljoe

mattgirl said:
You are pretty early into the cycle so you may want to go ahead and make the switch now and cycle with the better media. What kind of bio-media did you get?
Sorry, I thought a picture posted.
It’s Fluval biomax

mattgirl

Fljoe said:
Sorry, I thought a picture posted.
It’s Fluval biomax
That should be fine. It along with sponges should serve you well as bio-media. You may want to add some kind of fiber to act as your mechanical filtration.

I don't run that particular product. I run a mixture of matrix, lava rocks, ceramic rings (a lot like your biomax) and crushed coral mixed in media bags in my HOB filters for my bio-media. I use poly-fill for my mechanical filtration.

Fljoe

mattgirl said:
That should be fine. It along with sponges should serve you well as bio-media. You may want to add some kind of fiber to act as your mechanical filtration.

I don't run that particular product. I run a mixture of matrix, lava rocks, ceramic rings (a lot like your biomax) and crushed coral mixed in media bags in my HOB filters for my bio-media. I use poly-fill for my mechanical filtration.
Thank you for all the information. You’ been very helpful.

mattgirl

You are so very welcome :)

Islandvic

The Silenstream 75 filters are very good HOB's for the money (or when included in Top Fin aquarium kits).

I have one that came with out 55 gallon Top Fin kit.

I have it currently on a 20 gallon quarantine tank, for some fish my friend gave me.

The adjustable flow and two large reservoirs make it a very good, yet underrated filter.

You are on the right track adding some blocks of foam sponge to it.

Whatever else you want to add (carbon, bio-media, phosphate reducer, etc) just place it in a media bag in the left sided reservoir.

Here are some pics of it I took back in July, when I used the same filter on the QT when I brought home some Peacock cichlids from PetSmart.

I pieced together some cycled sponges and other media from our other filters and threw it in there..

Screenshot_20190929-121430_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20190929-121532_Gallery.jpg

There is an infinite amount of ways to place your media in there.

May I suggest a way to add a sponge pre-filter to the intake strainer.......

PetSmart has those 2-packs of the green foams for about $3. They work perfect and can be attached with a plastic zip tie.

Fljoe

Islandvic said:
The Silenstream 75 filters are very good HOB's for the money (or when included in Top Fin aquarium kits).

I have one that came with out 55 gallon Top Fin kit.

I have it currently on a 20 gallon quarantine tank, for some fish my friend gave me.

The adjustable flow and two large reservoirs make it a very good, yet underrated filter.

You are on the right track adding some blocks of foam sponge to it.

Whatever else you want to add (carbon, bio-media, phosphate reducer, etc) just place it in a media bag in the left sided reservoir.

Here are some pics of it I took back in July, when I used the same filter on the QT when I brought home some Peacock cichlids from PetSmart.

I pieced together some cycled sponges and other media from our other filters and threw it in there..

Screenshot_20190929-121430_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20190929-121532_Gallery.jpg

There is an infinite amount of ways to place your media in there.

May I suggest a way to add a sponge pre-filter to the intake strainer.......

PetSmart has those 2-packs of the green foams for about $3. They work perfect and can be attached with a plastic zip tie.
I saw those sponge filters for the intake today. I however don’t think I bought the proper sponge filter media. I bought universal filter fiber pad to put in the filter along with fluval biomax.

JayH

Fljoe said:
I saw those sponge filters for the intake today. I however don’t think I bought the proper sponge filter media. I bought universal filter fiber pad to put in the filter along with fluval biomax.
Ideally you want three layers of foam -- coarse, medium, fine -- followed by filter floss, if desired, then your Biomax. Coarse on the bottom, Biomax on the top. If you use coarse foam as the pre-filter on the intake then you could do just medium and fine inside the filter, possibly giving you a bit more room for Biomax.

Fljoe

I did the DIY on the filter today. I’ve been getting Microbubbles from the return flow. Not sure how to stop it. It makes my tank look cloudy? Water test hasn’t changed in a week PH 7.4 ammonia.25 nitrite 0 nitrates 5! Here is what I did and used.

Top Bottom