Question Replacing Filter And Saving Bb

Colleen B

Well Known
Member
Messages
806
Reaction score
334
I hate the topfin filter that my 37g came with so I got an aquaclear 50. Have been running both for 48 hours. If I put the media from the old in the new and get rid of the topfin do I risk a minI cycle because of the bb I'm losing on the filter itself and the intake sponge? Intake sponge is too big to use on the AC. Dont want another ammonia spike...

I set the tank up a month ago and had a bit of trouble cycling even though I used cycled media.
 

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,000
Reaction score
3,884
Location
Arizona
Experience
More than 10 years
Colleen B said:
I hate the topfin filter that my 37g came with so I got an aquaclear 50. Have been running both for 48 hours. If I put the media from the old in the new and get rid of the topfin do I risk a minI cycle because of the bb I'm losing on the filter itself and the intake sponge? Intake sponge is too big to use on the AC. Dont want another ammonia spike...

I set the tank up a month ago and had a bit of trouble cycling even though I used cycled media.
Is the tank completely cycled now? What are your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings now? You can 'squeeze' and rinse the old filter media into the new filter or into the tank itself. Don't vacuum or stir up your substrate for a couple weeks (there are bacteria in that too) and as long as your tank is fully cycled you should have no more problems than if you just did a normal change of the filter media.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #4
OP
Colleen B

Colleen B

Well Known
Member
Messages
806
Reaction score
334
Momgoose56 said:
Is the tank completely cycled now? What are your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings now? You can 'squeeze' and rinse the old filter media into the new filter or into the tank itself. Don't vacuum or stir up your substrate for a couple weeks (there are bacteria in that too) and as long as your tank is fully cycled you should have no more problems than if you just did a normal change of the filter media.
I'm not sure. I have a hard time seeing the colors in the API kit. I'd say my ammonia is 0, nitrite is 0.0-0.05, nitrate 10.
20190105_201316.jpg
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6
OP
Colleen B

Colleen B

Well Known
Member
Messages
806
Reaction score
334
Thunder_o_b said:
I would say yes.
Yes it is cycled? I swear I'm color blind. Sometimes I see the ammonia tube as very green when others in the house say it's obviously yellow... same with the nitrate one. Red? Orange? Yellow? Dont ask me! Lol I prefer strips but supposedly kit is more accurate. Ugh!
 

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,194
Reaction score
4,464
Location
Ohio
Experience
5 years
Cut up the intake sponge and then put it in the AC. If you have the carbon still in the AC that comes with it, take it out and use the space for the cut up sponge.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8
OP
Colleen B

Colleen B

Well Known
Member
Messages
806
Reaction score
334
AquaticJ said:
Cut up the intake sponge and then put it in the AC. If you have the carbon still in the AC that comes with it, take it out and use the space for the cut up sponge.
That's a good idea! Never thought of cutting up and putting it in. Will definitely do that.
 

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
9,629
Reaction score
6,183
Location
North East Ohio…USA
Experience
More than 10 years
Colleen B said:
Yes it is cycled? I swear I'm color blind. Sometimes I see the ammonia tube as very green when others in the house say it's obviously yellow... same with the nitrate one. Red? Orange? Yellow? Dont ask me! Lol I prefer strips but supposedly kit is more accurate. Ugh!
Yes cycled from what I am seeing.
 

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,000
Reaction score
3,884
Location
Arizona
Experience
More than 10 years
Looks like it's cycled, that's yellow. The sponge, scissors, what Aquatic J said. I woulda never thought of that ...good idea AJ!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #11
OP
Colleen B

Colleen B

Well Known
Member
Messages
806
Reaction score
334
Momgoose56 said:
Looks like it's cycled, that's yellow. The sponge, scissors, what Aquatic J said. I woulda never thought of that ...good idea AJ!
I would swear that was green lol I can't ever tell!!! Sometimes I do water changes thinking I have ammonia then someone will say ".....that's yellow."
 

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,000
Reaction score
3,884
Location
Arizona
Experience
More than 10 years
Your Nitrite looks 0 to me and your Nitrate looks between 5 and 10. Do you have someone who can read those for you? You might have a little 'touch' of color blindness but if you're ever in doubt and don't have someone around to double check, you can post your test here and we can read it for you!
 

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,000
Reaction score
3,884
Location
Arizona
Experience
More than 10 years
Colleen B said:
I would swear that was green lol I can't ever tell!!! Sometimes I do water changes thinking I have ammonia then someone will say ".....that's yellow."
Lol! Well, maybe you'll not have any 'ammonia spikes' if we double check it for you!
 

aussieJJDude

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,267
Reaction score
2,546
Location
Melbourne
Experience
More than 10 years
I have found when I regularly tested my water, photographing the test tubes over a (clean) white background and comparing the photos to the chart helped me..

Maybe do the same?
 

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,500
Reaction score
2,905
Location
South Texas
Experience
2 years
Why don't you run both filters on the tank?

When I did my write-up on cheap and effective DIY filter media, I used my Top Fin and Aquaclears as examples.

Here is a LINK to it, maybe you can take some ideas from it for your set up.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #16
OP
Colleen B

Colleen B

Well Known
Member
Messages
806
Reaction score
334
Islandvic said:
Why don't you run both filters on the tank?

When I did my write-up on cheap and effective DIY filter media, I used my Top Fin and Aquaclears as examples.

Here is a LINK to it, maybe you can take some ideas from it for your set up.
my hood doesn't fit with both
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #18
OP
Colleen B

Colleen B

Well Known
Member
Messages
806
Reaction score
334
Momgoose56 said:
Do you have fish in the tank yet?
yes, and I did end up taking the old filter out. worked out just fine
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
76
Guests online
2,100
Total visitors
2,176

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom