Replacing bottom panel of 150-gallon tank. Please help!

MellySalz

HI everyone! I posted a while back about resealing the bottom of a 150-gallon tank I bought off of Craigslist. Long story short, I have since realized that the bottom panel of the tank was only 1/4 inch thick while the rest of the panels were a half-inch thick (so seller probably did a cheap repair job before selling it to me... ugh!). Anyways, I don't want to give up on this tank. I found a website where I can purchase a glass panel to replace the bottom, but I want to know what the best way for me to do this would be. I have already removed the old bottom panel. Can I just attach/seal the new bottom panel to it (MUCH PREFERRED!!!) or do you think I need to take the whole thing apart piece by piece first (DEAR GOD, I HOPE NOT!!!)? Either way, I am willing to do whatever is the BEST and SAFEST method, but I would HATE taking apart all the panels and starting from there knowing that I could have successfully just applied the new bottom to the 4 connected sides I have now. I have done tons of research on tank repairs, but most of it deals with smaller tanks, so that is why I'm reaching out to you guys. Thanks in advance!

Morpheus1967

Have you ever re-sealed a tank before? (Nevermind completely replacing a panel).

MellySalz

Yes, several times. The largest was just a 55 gallon though...

MellySalz

And now I realize why you asked (I said "resealing the bottom panel"). I do know that you have to remove ALL the old silicone on the inside, and not just along the bottom, so I guess what I meant to say was "resealing the tank BECAUSE of the bottom panel." I worked all night, so I'm kinda sleepy right now...

Kevin1962

I've found that all of the tanks I've purchased (90g and over) have had a much thinner bottom panel. My 120 talls have 10mm panels with 5 mm bottom panels.

MellySalz

Really? So do you think I should just try reapplying the bottom panel? If so, can I just silicone it to the rest of the 4 panels that are still together or do I have to take it all apart first?

Morpheus1967

I found some youtube videos on it, and that is exactly what they did. The 4 vertical pieces were all still joined, and they siliconed the bottom glass on, and at the same time they siliconed the plastic frame to keep it Yhe bottom glass) in place. Just do a search for it on youtube. The videos are there. And keep in mind with a tank that size, it's going to be a two man (or woman) job.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MellySalz
Replies
Views
Galathiel
Replies
Views
saltwater60
Replies
Views