Replacing bottom of 100 gallon aquarium

Aaron J Spetner

I just found a crack in the bottom of my newly-bought used 100 gallon aquarium (51inL x 20inW x 23inH with 1cm thick glass). I would like to replace the bottom pane, as I do not have the budget to purchase a new tank.

First of all, is there any need to get tempered glass or is 1cm thick enough with regular untreated glass?

I would like some feed back on the steps I would be taking:

1. Slide a razor blade between the bottom and side panels to separate them.
  2. Lift tank off of bottom panel and place on floor, then discard old bottom.
  3. Clean the edges of the sides and the new glass with acetone and ensure that it is bone dry
  4. Place new bottom on styrofoam
  5. Apply copious amounts of aquarium silicone around the edges of the new bottom
  6. Place the tank sides on new bottom
  7. Apply additional silicone to the inside seams.

Does this sound right? Any comments, critiques, or tips?

Much appreciated!
AJS

jetajockey

I've not heard of doing it like that, sounds kinda sketchy to be honest. I understand why it would work, but it's just not something I'd be up to doing. And if you ever move the tank and put too much pressure on either bottom side the flexing may cause premature leakage (just theorizing).

If you are going to spend the money to get replacement glass, you might as well get the correct size piece cut to fit from a glass shop.

Aaron J Spetner

I've not heard of doing it like that, sounds kinda sketchy to be honest. I understand why it would work, but it's just not something I'd be up to doing. And if you ever move the tank and put too much pressure on either bottom side the flexing may cause premature leakage (just theorizing).

If you are going to spend the money to get replacement glass, you might as well get the correct size piece cut to fit from a glass shop.

Are you responding to my original version of the post about using two panels? I since edited the question because I realized that it is not too expensive to just get a single solid pane.

BGKFan

Just know that you can use GE silicone 1. Likely to be much cheaper than "aquarium silicone"

Aaron J Spetner

Just know that you can use GE silicone 1. Likely to be much cheaper than "aquarium silicone"

Good to know except that I'm in Israel and I don't know what the equivalent of that is here. Unless I can convince my Dad to smuggle a tube of it past the TSA when he comes to visit this weekend .

One of the reviews at mentions that there is a mold inhibitor in the silicone. Wouldn't this harm the fish?

BGKFan

Idk about that one but the kind I use says all purpose ge silicone 1 and doesn't have a picture of a door.... if it only costs you a few bucks more for the aquarium stuff just do that I guess... I just wouldn't be spending 15 dollars on something I can get for 3 that's all

Rivieraneo

I don't encourage the replacement of tank panes unless you are replacing with polished edge aquarium glass. Usually, the cost of this glass is close to the cost of a discounted new or good condition used tank. If you do choose to replace, I highly recommend you purchase glass made for aquariums, make sure its the proper thickness and the edge is polished for a proper seal. Best of luck.

Dolfan

I don't encourage the replacement of tank panes unless you are replacing with polished edge aquarium glass. Usually, the cost of this glass is close to the cost of a discounted new or good condition used tank. If you do choose to replace, I highly recommend you purchase glass made for aquariums, make sure its the proper thickness and the edge is polished for a proper seal. Best of luck.

Especially for a 100 gallon tank. I agree with Rivieraneo here.

plecostomuch

Yeah don't have Dad smuggle anything. Lol

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Jomolager
Replies
Views
Morpheus1967
Replies
Views
RSababady