Replacing Aquaclear20 How Do I

1. Fredbetta86 Well Known Member Member

Hey guys,

I have a Aquaclear 20 in my ten gallon freshwater tank that is getting a little old and the motor doesn't work like it used to anymore. I have a brand new one but before I do anything I want to make sure it's ok to just switch the media basket from the old one into the new one without any issues. Will I lose any beneficial bacteria? Or will it not have a impact on my cycle at all?

2. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

as long as you transfer all the cycled media to the new filter it'll be perfectly fine and won't cause any mini cycle.

3. JLeeM Well Known Member Member

Have you tried cleaning, or replacing just the motor? I realize that you already have another, but if it could be fixed two is better than one.

4. Fredbetta86 Well Known Member Member

I don't know how but I would love to know..

What about the carbon can I replace that or should I let all the media run for a little bit before replacing?

5. JLeeM Well Known Member Member

If you still have the instruction booklet, it might tell you how to tear it down and clean it. I don't really remember what all is in it. You can buy individual parts for the Aquaclear on Amazon. You can also look up online how to dismantle and clean.

6. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

what else are you using what's the third layer?