Question Replacing Air Stone Bar With Sponge Filter

kasra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone
I’m trying to find out the pros and cons to replacing my air stone with a small sponge filter in addition to my HOB
Does it help?
Is it goanna make it worse?
No effect?
More noise?

Useful?

OP
kasra

kasra

Valued Member
Reaction score
It would add another good place for beneficial bacteria to live and provide filtration + oxygenation. An air stone just provides oxygenation.

You'd use the same air pump, so it would sound the same.

Is there a reason you might swap it, and is there any particular reason you have the air stone now?
No i just had the airstone as an oxygenation device for the past 2 years and my 20g is cycled well but as it uses the same pump and tubing i was thinking of switching for more filtration
If I switch to sand substrate from gravel and a bit of redecorating so it could be a useful option

JenC

Well Known Member
Reaction score
More filtration is always good. You can also put a prefilter on the HOB intake to increase it.

I'd consider switching it as I think a sponge has more benefits. Additionally, if you ever wanted to quickly set up another tank, maybe hospital or QT, you could move that seeded sponge over if needed.

(I switched from gravel to black sand and really like it better.)

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sponge filter uses air stone anyways, so ahead and get one.

Liveaquaria.com has large sale on Azoo sponge filters.

There are also good if you need to use a 5 gallon bucket for a quarantine or hospital tank.

Just take it out of the 20g and throw it in bucket for instantly cycled temporary tank.

Noroomforshoe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It will provide much more oxygine then an air stone. It will house cycling bacteria. It will hold the tank cycle if/when you need to clean/rinse/change the filter or filtercartridges in the HOB.

BettaBelieveIt123

Valued Member
Reaction score
Also if the HOB were to need servicing or breaks, you have the sponge filter working just in case. Sometimes also when using a bubbler bar it can create a strong up current and really stirs the water around. I myself have a HOB and a sponge filter in every tank.

OP
kasra

kasra

Valued Member
Reaction score
So i added a small sponge filter that made a safe place for fry

And today I changed it to a bigger one and put the small one in my other smaller tank
Happy with it me and fish

Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Weekly

Votes: 53 67.9%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 10 12.8%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 14 17.9%

Top Bottom