Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Replacing “hang Off The Back” With Canister Filter Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by BryanSOFLA, Apr 12, 2019.

1. BryanSOFLANew MemberMember

Hi all-

Hope everyone is well on this Friday. I have a question regarding canister filters. So I’ve been at the hobby for about 6 months now and have started to make upgrades to my tank. My question today surrounds filtration.

Currently, I have a marineland penguin 350 in my 60G freshwater tank, which works well, but is a little noisy (not my reason for exploring a replacement) and feel I may need something more powerful to cut down on maintenance. It’s seems that most intermediate and advanced fish keepers prefer canister filters. Right now I’ve needed to change my water every 1.5-2 weeks...more so bc I have 29 fish in my tank, so I like to keep things consistent with maintaining the nitrate and ammonia levels. Canister filters seem to be very expensive and I’m wondering if they are really worth it and how much better of a job it would do over what I have. It would be nice to have something more efficient, less bulky and some noise reduction to boot. So what is everyone’s opinions? Is there a particular brand anyone recommends? I hear a lot about the Fluval filters being the best in the canister world. Also, my concern is when switching from my current filter to a new canister filter will it compromise all the good bacteria I’ve built up in the biowheel over the past 6 month and trigger a new cycle?

Thanks everyone! B

2. CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

3. CrickettheFishNew MemberMember

The canister filter I have is a Marineland c360 that I got on black Friday a few years ago. Ive had no issues with it and think it's great, but if I were to get a new canister, I would definitely go with a larger Fluval.

As for transferring to the canister, I think your best bet would be to leave your HOB running on the tank at the same time as the canister once you set it up. This will ensure your tank won't go into a mini cycle and after a few weeks you'll be able to remove the HOB with no issues and have a cycled canister.

4. grump299Well Known MemberMember

Sun sun is a good filter and will not break the bank.. Using and canister filter only cuts down on filter maintenance you still need to do weekly water changes and tank maintenance.. I use 2 canisters on my 75g a fluval 404 and aquatop cf300 and I do staggered filter maintenance each filter gets cleaned 4 month intervals ( one every 2 months)..
    You can run both your filters for a min of a month to seed new one befor removing old one...

5. aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

I highly reccomend eheim, even if they are expensive. They tend to have rather low wattage pumps without compromising efficiency, which I think is great when you're trying to cut down on the power bill :) plus they tend to be rather well made, compared to cheaper units available. It's very much you pay for what you get IMO, I've had my fair share in cheap units and overall, they leave me dissatisfied and disappointed.

6. SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

you can run both filters. but if you're replacing the HOB, you can keep the cycle by putting all the media, including the biowheel, into one of the trays in the canister.

7. BryanSOFLANew MemberMember

This is great stuff everyone! I’ll look into all of these suggestions! Thanks!

8. jmaldoWell Known MemberMember

"Eheims" for me. Started with HOB's worked fine, decided to upgrade. Almost silent, in fact when I first plugged it in I had to check to see if it was working. Now use them on 6 tanks.
    "Agree" run both together for about a month. No problems.
    Good Luck!

9. AmStaticValued MemberMember

2 years ago I switched from HOB to Fluval canister and I will never, ever use an HOB again.
    It's sooooooooo quiet!

But put it in a plastic tub.. if it drips or leaks you'll be soooooo glad you did. I once didn't seal it correctly after cleaning and emptied about 5 gallons of water before I noticed...

20180729_145707.jpg

10. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

I have a fluval 406 on my 55 as well as an Aq70 and i have a fluval 206 along with an AQ 50. I would strongly suggest leaving both filters up n runnin incase one quits or filter maint. time u can keep one going while giving the other one a good cleaning without losing any of your BB just never do em at the sametime

11. AmStaticValued MemberMember

Yeah I have two of those 206s on mine