Replacement tubes for AR620

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by bubblynutter, Apr 7, 2010.

1. bubblynutter

bubblynutter Well Known Member Member

Hi all,

I am looking into upgrading/replacing the tubes in my AquaOne AR620.

The manual says it has 2 x 18w flourescent tubes, but that is the limit of the information provided.

I've tried searching online to find out how long they are, so I can start investigating new tubes, but have yet to succeed! :-\

Anyone care to provide their 2 bobs worth?

Feel free to add suggestions on exact specifications for new tubes (i.e. ?Kelvin? rating)

2. mathas

mathas Well Known Member Member

They appear to be 18W power compact bulbs:

UK:  
    Aus:  

3. OP
    OP
    bubblynutter

Thanks for those links, they helped a lot.

New question - how do I know what the wattage limit on the light fitting is?
    If 18w tubes are what were supplied with the tank, is that the max wattage I can use? Can I put 20w or 36w tubes in there?

I have conflicting tube lengths in that link you provided. One says 19cm, the other says 59.7cm - big difference!

I hate lighting. I have never had to replace tubes in tanks before, so this is all a little foreign!

4. mathas

mathas Well Known Member Member

In general, fixtures tend to ship with the maximum wattage bulb they can support. Also, many bulbs are only available in specific configurations... if your fixture comes with an 18W 19cm bulb, you likely wouldn't be able to find a 36W bulb of the same size with the same pin configuration.

There are (apparently?) two tanks that are called AR620. That brand isn't sold in my area, so I'm unfamiliar with it.

Since you're looking to replace what you currently have, why not remove the current bulb and see which of the two bulb types in the link matches what you're replacing?

5. OP
    OP
    bubblynutter

AquaOne is a very big brand over here - favourite of all LFS and chain stores. Easy to sell, as they are all-in-one setups.

There is the AR620 (mine) and the AR620T (Tall, but still same width). I will have to wait till I get home (currently at the office) to see what the pin setup and tube lengths are.
    I was trying to avoid doing that, as I spend most of my time researching while at work rather than home.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice