Replacement tubes for API KIT

1. r

rcordova233 Well Known Member Member

2. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I think they would, they have the same diameter as the API tubes (I just checked) so the distance light has to travel through the solution would be the same and the colour should match the chart. Only thing I wouldn't be sure of is whether the plastic affects the passage of the light differently from the glass. And you'd have to ensure that you measured out 5mL of course;)

I agree, the price of the API tubes is ridiculous!

3. OP
    OP
    r

DIAMETER. THAT'S WHAT IT WAS!!! Thanks I've been scratching my head all day trying to figure out what it was the couldn't be different. Hopefully somebody else can answer if plastic affects light. I'll try to find some glass ones in the meantime.

4. Aquaphobia

I was just on ebay and found several. Nice ones, borosilicate, laboratory-grade glass and all that;)

5. OP
    OP
    r

Oh shoot. Could the test liquids stain the plastic? I guess this wouldn't be good for testing if it does.

6. OP
    OP
    r

Would you happen to have a link?

7. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

8. OP
    OP
    r

9. Aquaphobia

Those are 20mm in diameter.

10. OP
    OP
    r

Is that bad?

11. Aquaphobia

Well, the "thickness" of the liquid that the light has to pass through may affect the colour that you see. It's 50% wider which is a significant difference.

12. OP
    OP
    r

Oohhh. Alright back to looking then.

13. OP
    OP
    r

What diameter would work?

14. Aquaphobia

15. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I think you're overthinking this.

I don't think it'll change the color too much and I would feel comfortable using those.

You can look at the liquid from the top (looking straight down the tube) and the color should be the same or too similar for you to see a difference as when you use the API tubes.

16. OP
    OP
    r

Hmmm....... just put the order in........ kinda feel like I played myself. Whatever though its 10 tubes for 5 bucks. Just have to wait a week.

17. Aquaphobia

Blame it on my OCD;)