Replacement Bulbs?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Clueless Khuli, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Clueless Khuli

Clueless Khuli New Member Member

Hey guys!

Occasional lurker, first time poster. =) I'm rather new to fish ownership... It's a long story, so I'll keep it short:

I started out caring for my friend's fish (angel fish and pleco) in his 5 gallon tank... Upgraded them to a 20 gallon and added another pleco (yes, I know, bad idea - not making that mistake again), an apple snail, and 3 khuli Loaches... Angel fish died in spite of my efforts... and that's pretty much what I have now.

(Note: I'm just watching his fish; he's coming back in a few months, just can't care for them where he is now)

Now I have a pretty big problem. The light bulb burned out after just a couple of months... and getting a replacement has proven near impossible. X_X The store I bought the tank at will only sell me the hood - or replacement bulbs that won't work...

I've looked through your forums before as I started putting the 20 gallon tank together, and your advice has been immensely helpful! =)

I'm getting desperate in my search for a replacement light, and I hope you guys can help me... I don't have a ton of money to spend, but I'm willing to be a little flexible for the fish.

It's a 15-inch LED light, comes as part of the Top Fin 20 gallon tank set-up.

Any help you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated! =D Thank you!!

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

You can get bulbs from a hardware store. Just make sure the wattage works!

What kind of plecos do you have in the 20 gal? I'd rehome both of them - a 20 gal is likely too small for them.

3. OP
    OP
    Clueless Khuli

Wow, really? I didn't think it'd be that easy... Do I need to secure the new light in some way? I don't know if they will fit in the clips set up to hold the old one.

Common ones, unfortunately... I'm happy to re-home the one I got, if someone will take him. =) The other one belongs to my friend... I can suggest that he rehomes the other one, but I'm not going to do it while he's still away.

4. TexasDomer

Is there a place to screw in a new bulb? Or are they stick on LED lights?

You should definitely rehome at least one common. I would explain to your friend that the common pleco will get much too large for this tank, and will suffer and die if not rehomed to a pond or a 100+ gal tanks. They get huge.

Just wondering, why are you adding fish to this tank if it's not yours then?

5. OP
    OP
    Clueless Khuli

There are clips on each side of the tank hood that hold it in place - no screws or tape.

This is part of the long story...

I was concerned about the angel fish because it wasn't swimming around very much, so I did some research... That's when I found out that my friend's tank set-up was inadequate.

Along with the 20 gallon tank, I bought some decor, a couple of bubblers, and a few tank-mates. It was to give the angel fish a better home... but she died a short time later. =(

6. TexasDomer

Adding tank mates wasn't a good idea though, especially since the tank is overstocked and the angelfish was sick.

If there are no plants in the tank, there's really no need to add a light. The room lighting should be plenty. There are alternatives, but none are super cheap, and most would require you to get a glass or egg crate lid, instead of using the hood. I thought there was a place to screw a bulb in.

7. OP
    OP
    Clueless Khuli

I didn't have a spare tank to treat her yet; I figured I could kill two birds with one stone, set up the 20 gallon as the main tank and the 5 gallon as a quarentine tank.

I'd still like to get a replacement light... It's still rather dark inside the tank, even with the room lights on. Also, I like to keep an eye on what's going on in there...

I know I've made a lot of mistakes... I've never cared for my own fish before (shocking, I know ^^; ). I'm far from an expert, but that's why I found myself coming back to your forums.

When I got the other tank-mates, I was thinking about the angel fish's overall quality of life when she did get better. I chose ones that were compatible with her and (supposedly) could help keep the tank clean (again, I know I screwed up getting the second pleco; I didn't find out until later that they are basically poop machines and tend to dirty the tank more than keep it clean... Ugh... -_- ).

I may not be a fish expert, or knowledgeable about fish for the most part... but I am an animal lover, and believe in giving the animals in my care all that I can do for them.

I grew up on a small farm, and these days I earn my living as a dog walker / sitter. That's how the fish owner knows me; I'm also watching his troublesome dog. =P

My expertise is with dogs, though I have taken care of cats and horses too... but yeah, very different animals than fish.

I know I made some poor choices in trying to care for them. I tried to learn as much as I could when I found out how much care they really needed, from your forum and other websites.

I thought I was making good decisions at the time, and I'm dealing with the consequences of my poor choices now... but in the end, I just want to do right by the fish I have now and try to give them the best lives possible.

Thank you again for your help!

8. p

pugletfan Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore!! I agree with re-homing the pleco. Maybe a fish store would take him? You could post pictures of your current light fixture/ hood to see if that helps people make suggestions.

I just got new lights for my 29 gallon aquarium. I have a glass lid (hinged) and AquaSky led lights.

1888f6c434fbe99a745c88c9634099b3.jpg

The lights are off in this photo.

9. OP
    OP
    Clueless Khuli

Thanks for your help! =)

Not sure who will take my 2 1/2 inch pleco, but I'll re-home him as soon as possible.

Here's what the bulb and tank hood look like. I put a ruler in both photos for a rough size estimate (the bulb is 15 inches total).

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice