Replace Filter Cartridge In A Top Fin Power Filter Without Crashing Cycle?

Susu

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
How do I replace my old, worn out, tattered filter cartridge without crashing the cycle?

My filter cartridge likely needs replaced... I think.

It's even starting to shred the white floss-like fibers into tank water. So, that's my assumption. I have a Silenstream 10 Power Filter - (small cartridges/rectangular) with slots within the chamber for filter media.

When replacing the old cartridge, can I use the old cartridge with new cartridge - placing them one in front of the other - in order to transfer the established bacteria colonies to new cartridge?

If so, what's the best order of placement (starting from tank side)? For example,
Blue plastic bio filter > new > old cartridges

Or vice versa?

I'll make sure to rinse new cartridge in old tank water before using, too!

Thanks, and all suggestions and advice is appreciated... As always.

Background:
It's been almost two and a half months since successfully cycling my 5.5 gallon tank. My water parameters have been ideal except for Nitrates which are leveling out at 10-20 ppm.

And my beloved Betta has looked great until just very recently as she shows signs of fin rot now. I do routine weekly 30% water changes; however, I waited two and a half weeks on one recent occasion. So, I'm thinking it could be poor filtration.

KimberlyG

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Put the old cartridge behind the new one. The water will flow thru that to the new filter and then into the tank.

Susu

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
KimberlyG said:
Put the old cartridge behind the new one. The water will flow thru that to the new filter and then into the tank.
Will do. That is what I thought.
I appreciate so much the prompt reply.

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
That would work out wonderfully!

If there isn’t enough space, you can cut the cycles cartridge into pieces and stuff it into your filter.

Susu

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
75g Discus Tank said:
That would work out wonderfully!

If there isn’t enough space, you can cut the cycles cartridge into pieces and stuff it into your filter.
Okay, very good to know. Thank you!!

Susu

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I forgot to ask,

When do I know it is safe to remove my old filter cartridge?

Or

How will I be able to determine my new filter has absorbed enough of the established bacteria from my old cartridge? (What exactly should it look like?)

As of now, I still have the old cartridge tightly stuffed in the canister behind the new one.

Algonquin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'd leave the old one in for at least 2 weeks, ideally 3 or 4. Then you'll know for sure it's safe to take it out. If it's literally falling apart in the meantime, just pull all the floss off of it and put the bits inside a mesh bio-bag or pantyhose, and shove that in your filter.

Susu

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Algonquin said:
I'd leave the old one in for at least 2 weeks, ideally 3 or 4. Then you'll know for sure it's safe to take it out. If it's literally falling apart in the meantime, just pull all the floss off of it and put the bits inside a mesh bio-bag or pantyhose, and shove that in your filter.
That sounds like a good plan to me. And THANK YOU!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom