15 Gallon Tank Repens Disappearing?

twc42397

Reaction score
Put some repens in my tank bout 2 weeks ago and they were all doing good but I would randomly find some of it floating whole and the leaves are missing and looks like part of the stems are too. I have never seen any laves or stems floating around just whole plants. The first pic I noticed today it looked like it does but yesterday it was more than half what it is now.
065bac10048f53a5698da27ffcd082f3.jpg

This pic is one that I’ve been watching for a couple days. Wasn’t as big as first one but noticed it was disappearing.
733f4330b2770bcde4ac22c177d8d47e.jpg

I’m wondering if one of the new fish I put in the same time as the repens is eating the plants.
da6586b4ccd5b688bab7c3f9288400c8.jpg
0ce3304d4064a14696c964885c07a4a1.jpg

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Staurogyne needs pretty bright light and lots of nutrient rich substrate. Lower leaves melting usually means a lack of light to the lower leaves. Having it float usually means the roots are not established, could be a lack of substrate nutrients.

You could try as easier stem like hygro polysperma or rosenervig instead.

twc42397

Reaction score
Staurogyne needs pretty bright light and lots of nutrient rich substrate. Lower leaves melting usually means a lack of light to the lower leaves. Having it float usually means the roots are not established, could be a lack of substrate nutrients.

You could try as easier stem like hygro polysperma or rosenervig instead.
But it’s like the leaves are just dissolving or something. I would think I would see dead ones floating at least

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
But it’s like the leaves are just dissolving or something. I would think I would see dead ones floating at least
They melt and dissolve yes. Your catfish could be rubbushing at night and dislodging the full plants, compromising its ability to establish roots, but I'd expect to at last see some bite marks on the leaves, not MIA leaves. Fish and inverts might dine on decaying leaves, but it really doesn't look like they are being eaten to me. Usually the softer new leaves will be the first to be munched on.

gunnergirl

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I
This has happened to me when i first got the plant as well
two things in my opinion first this plant needs root tabs if your putting it in sand it will have a hard time rooting and staying rooted. usually the leaves will turn back once rooted .its growing new roots so u should be able to bury it again .
Second i wouldnt per say its melting id say its iron deficiancy. so root tabs and a lizuid fertilizer u can add to the water
this plant should have some.co2 or will grow very slow from my experiance but doesnt have to have co2
How long are your lights on? They do seem kind of low light.?
If not definatly the cat fish they tend to uproot plants anyways in tanks

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom