Repeated Cory Cat Failures...

1. Steverino Initiate Member

Hi all,

For many years I have kept community tanks that usually included one or two cory catfish. Also often included an upside-down cat. Always with good results.

In recent years after a cross country move, I have had much less success. The corys fins seem to gradually disappear, and they eventually die. I had an upside-down cat recently who lived for probably a year with basically no fins at all before finally succumbing.

I can't figure out what's getting my cats. All other fish in the tank are healthy. My mix of community fish changes, but the cats consistently seem to have this problem. Is there some chemical imbalance? A specific catfish disease that has taken up residence??

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Steve

2. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

What kind of substrate are you using? sometimes sharp gravel will wear barbels and fins away.
    Also if the gravel isn't vacuumed deeply and regularly they can get fin rot.
    Carol

3. Steverino Initiate Member

Hi,

Yes, I do vacuum the gravel fairly regularly. Perhaps the substrate is a bit rough, but I don't think that's causing the mortality. Just last weekend, I added several new fish, including a Cory. It died within a couple of days, and was the only fish I lost.

Now, that could just be coincidence too.

I just don't understand the catfish problem, as most other fish seem to do fine, and I never used to have problems with cats...

Further feedback is very welcome!

Steve

4. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Do you use aged water when you do water changes? I was thinking that maybe your water has a large ph fluctuation after a water change, or that maybe there is a big ph difference from the water they were in at the fish store, and your water at home. How long were the corys in the bag from the time you floated it in the tank and then released them into the tank? Maybe the acclimation period needs to be longer? Just putting out some theories here.