Repashy Gel Foods? Fish Don't Seem Interested...

gsong321

Hello fish lovers, I just purchased a bottle of Repashy super gel food, primarily to feed my pond fish. It seemed like a good thing for my big female that has chronic swim bladder. It looks and smells awful but according to the specs it's got lot of good stuff in it. I just put a batch together, put a few small chunks in for the big girl and so far she isn't interested..at all. I haven't tried any of the inside fish yet but I'm wondering if anyone else out there has tried this stuff. I'm really hoping they'll eat it and it ill work out, maybe it will just take some time for them to get used to??

gsong321

Hello fish lovers, I just purchased a bottle of Repashy super gel food, primarily to feed my pond fish. It seemed like a good thing for my big female that has chronic swim bladder. It looks and smells awful but according to the specs it's got lot of good stuff in it. I just put a batch together, put a few small chunks in for the big girl and so far she isn't interested..at all. I haven't tried any of the inside fish yet but I'm wondering if anyone else out there has tried this stuff. I'm really hoping they'll eat it and it ill work out, maybe it will just take some time for them to get used to??
So far my fish are looking at me like..."what the...? I tried feeding it to all the fish inside and so far the only one I saw attempt to eat it was a large silver dollar and I think he spit it out.

Tol

Well Known
I use repashy Soilent Green. I got it for some otos, they really never took to it like I thought they would. They will come out and forage around if I take a chunk and mash it apart with my fingers under the water and it creates a nice cloud of green yuck. I don't think they get that a little green cube is food, but chunks and fine particles of it, they seem to understand more. I have yet to try coating some rocks with it, so maybe that would help. I have Neons, Guppies and ADF and they all love it. I may try the community blend one at some point, but the soilent green is good to give them all a little greenery mixed in with their normal food.

gsong321

Thank you, for your reply! I noticed the little bit I put in the hospital tank disappeared last night...I usually go out at clean out the waste after they've finished eating but I was so tired I fell asleep...anyway everything is gone this morning. It either broke down and went into the filter or they ate it. Thanks for cluing me in on breaking it up up a little...I'll try that. I made it into a sheet about 3/16 thick and then sliced it into 1/8" squares the large fish should have no problem at all. I'm going to continue to experiment with this stuff because I really want it to work...it seems like the perfect fish food especially for sick fish. Thanks again!

gsong321

I use repashy Soilent Green. I got it for some otos, they really never took to it like I thought they would. They will come out and forage around if I take a chunk and mash it apart with my fingers under the water and it creates a nice cloud of green yuck. I don't think they get that a little green cube is food, but chunks and fine particles of it, they seem to understand more. I have yet to try coating some rocks with it, so maybe that would help. I have Neons, Guppies and ADF and they all love it. I may try the community blend one at some point, but the soilent green is good to give them all a little greenery mixed in with their normal food.
One thing I just though of, I might try with the next batch...mixing in a little garlic guard...they do love garlic!

BRP

Well Known
I too feed soilent green and my oto’s took it right away. Also cory’s and the Ancistus loved it from the first time I fed it to them. Ok, to be exactly the cory’s needed a few days until all of them ate from it.
I tried it with the blood parrots too and as I expected it was gone in a few minutes, but have to admit they are little piggies.

So far nothing but good.

BRP

Well Known
anyway everything is gone this morning. It either broke down and went into the filter or they ate it.
It normally doesn’t break down overnight.

gsong321

It normally doesn’t break down overnight.
Thank you, that's good to know! I'm thinking it may take a while to get them adjusted to this stuff. I would rather eat big mac's than salads...and I think they're going to have to get a little hungrier before they'll accept it...I've really spoiled my fish with frozen blood worms and shrimp and other commercial foods. I know now that they really need a change for the good of their health. Thanks

BRP

Well Known
Keep us updated.

You are aware you can freeze this food?

Sounds as if I’m very lucky that mine accepted it so fast. Especially the oto’s as they normally need a long time to realize something is food.

Tol

Well Known
Keep us updated.

You are aware you can freeze this food?

Sounds as if I’m very lucky that mine accepted it so fast. Especially the oto’s as they normally need a long time to realize something is food.
Yeah mine still don't get it. It doesn't help that rest of the tank swarms it. I tried a little of the powder one time in tank water with a syringe, just for giggles. The otos came out and scavenged the sand for a while but it makes a big mess. LOL. I make a batch, cut it up, take what I need for the week and freeze the rest. I keep a small container with a lid on it in the fridge and toss frozen cubes in that every week or so. I think it goes up to 2 weeks in the fridge and like 6 months in the freezer?

BRP

Well Known
think it goes up to 2 weeks in the fridge and like 6 months in the freezer?
Yes, you are correct.

That 2 weeks in the fridge concerns me though. It must contain preservatives.

Always forget to read that long list of ingredients on the bottle. Even if it contains preservatives, I still believe it’s an excellent food.
I make sure mine is gone within a week.

gsong321

Yes, you are correct.

That 2 weeks in the fridge concerns me though. It must contain preservatives.

Always forget to read that long list of ingredients on the bottle. Even if it contains preservatives, I still believe it’s an excellent food.
I make sure mine is gone within a week.

So, I froze most of what I made yesterday and I'm mixing up a batch with garlic guard since they been eating food soaked in it for some time. I notice the pond fish ate up what I put in there last night but the inside fish are still holding out. This stuff kind of reminds me of flubber and that's what I've been calling it. I just hope I can get them going on this. It seems kind of expensive but I think there's enough in one of the bottles to go a long long way and will certainly be cheaper in the long run than blood worms and some of the other stuff I've been feeding them. Anyway it's nice that you can freeze it and keep it that way!

BRP

Well Known
Some fish don’t eat it from de bottom of the tank here. For instance Trigonostigma espei. They eat what drifts away while others eat.

I never used Garlic Guard. Curious to hear if your fish accept it with GG mixed in.

It is expensive, especially the small bottles. Next time I buy a big one.

Plan to freeze part of it in small batches so it keeps longer. For instance divide the big bottle in 4 batches. Take out a new batch of powder when I need it.

There is more animal food that I freeze. Only make sure I defrost it while the bag/bottle still is closed. This to avoid condensation on the dry food.

For instance I do freeze the Harrison’s bird pellets. They are very expensive here. The pellets keep longer and it kills insect eggs from a moth that loves bird food.

For the same reason I do freeze HikarI food. Can buy bigger bags, feed more variety.

I still feed frozen stuff, rarely live food. Can’t help myself but these bags stink too much to bear for me.

Good luck with the new batch repashy. And yes it looks and feels like flubber
Btw the less water you use, the less it resembles Jelly-O.

I prefer to use less water and feed less. It’s very nutrient dense then.
The amount of poop from the blood parrots give that away. Soilent Green is not the correct type of repashy for them but they get is as a treat. They are mainly on Hilary and frozen stuff like blood worms.

gsong321

Some fish don’t eat it from de bottom of the tank here. For instance Trigonostigma espei. They eat what drifts away while others eat.

I never used Garlic Guard. Curious to hear if your fish accept it with GG mixed in.

Plan to freeze part of it in small batches so it keeps longer. For instance divide the big bottle in 4 batches. Take out a new batch of powder when I need it.

There is more animal food that I freeze. Only make sure I defrost it while the bag/bottle still is closed. This to avoid condensation on the dry food.

For instance I do freeze the Harrison’s bird pellets. They are very expensive here. The pellets keep longer and it kills insect eggs from a moth that loves bird food.

For the same reason I do freeze HikarI food. Can buy bigger bags, feed more variety.

The amount of poop from the blood parrots give that away. Soilent Green is not the correct type of repashy for them but they get is as a treat. They are mainly on Hilary and frozen stuff like blood worms.

I still feed frozen stuff, rarely live food. Can’t help myself but these bags stink too much to bear for me.

So I've used this stuff enough now that it's something I wish I would have found much sooner! It's easy and fast to mix up once you've done it a few times and my fish absolutely love it! The silver dollars love it, the cory's, the goldfish and even some of my little tetra's like to nibble it. The way I got them to go after it was to mix in a tablespoon of garlic guard and after they got used to eating it...I started leaving it out. I still make batches with it in there because I've heard garlic is a natural antibiotic for goldfish so it's a good way to deliver it to them as well. By the way...the garlic guard I've been buying, I get on Amazon and it's only about $10-$11 for a 500 ml bottle. I really wish I had found this stuff earlier as it's IMO the best nutrition out there. For my fish with swim bladder problems...it's a Godsend! I have a large female that I came so close to losing...she's as healthy as can be right now...I think it's from all the TLC but mainly it's the easy to digest food that's loaded with everything she needs and she doesn't tend to be such a pig any more at dinner time. To anyone in the future who is looking to use this type of food, I greatly recommend it!

AvalancheDave

Well Known
I've been feeding my clown loaches MazurI gel food for years now. They love the texture of gel food. Last summer, I decided to try Repashy Community+. They wouldn't touch it even after being starved for several days. I was stuck with 2 KG of Repashy so I decided to make up a batch of 90% MazurI and 10% Repashy. They ate it. Next batch was 85/15 and so forth. After ~9 months, I'm at 10/90. I'm not sure whether to continue with Repashy or go back to MazurI after I finish the Repashy. They strongly prefer the Mazuri.

BRP

Well Known
The way I got them to go after it was to mix in a tablespoon of garlic guard and after they got used to eating it...I started leaving it out.
Awesome to hear that did the trick!
my fish absolutely love it!
Here the same. Everyone loves Repashy, I only have the Soilet Green I still feed pellets and frozen 'live' food for the ones that need more animal protein.

.she's as healthy as can be right now...I think it's from all the TLC but mainly it's the easy to digest food that's loaded with everything she needs and she doesn't tend to be such a pig any more at dinner time. To anyone in the future who is looking to use this type of food, I greatly recommend it!
I found my Blood Parrots poop a lot on it! Maybe I feed too much Repashy, I don't know. Don't you notice the Gold fish poops a lot on Respashy?
Could be because the Soilent Green isn't the correct type for the Blood Parrots (I give it to them only as a treat).

They strongly prefer the Mazuri.
Interesting.
I've never seen MazurI in Europe and sadly buying from Amazon/eBay comes with crazy shipping costs.

gsong321

Awesome to hear that did the trick!

Here the same. Everyone loves Repashy, I only have the Soilet Green I still feed pellets and frozen 'live' food for the ones that need more animal protein.

I found my Blood Parrots poop a lot on it! Maybe I feed too much Repashy, I don't know. Don't you notice the Gold fish poops a lot on Respashy?
Could be because the Soilent Green isn't the correct type for the Blood Parrots (I give it to them only as a treat).

Interesting.
I've never seen MazurI in Europe and sadly buying from Amazon/eBay comes with crazy shipping costs.
I've been getting it on amazon but I have a prime membership so the shipping doesn't hit me so hard but it seems to be about the same price as the local shop. They do seem to poop a lot more though. I think it's what saved my big females life...she was almost dead floating upside down and very sick. She had big bulges in her tummy and I'm assuming she was constipated along with whatever else was wrong with her but once she started eating this food she was able to eliminate everything. Over time the bulges disappeared and she began to poop normally...I can't tell you how happy it makes me to see her swimming around the pond healthy as can be...I'm giving a lot of the credit to this awesome nutritional food.

gsong321

I've been feeding my clown loaches MazurI gel food for years now. They love the texture of gel food. Last summer, I decided to try Repashy Community+. They wouldn't touch it even after being starved for several days. I was stuck with 2 KG of Repashy so I decided to make up a batch of 90% MazurI and 10% Repashy. They ate it. Next batch was 85/15 and so forth. After ~9 months, I'm at 10/90. I'm not sure whether to continue with Repashy or go back to MazurI after I finish the Repashy. They strongly prefer the Mazuri.
I haven't tried the MazurI yet but I'm really sold on the gel type food. I really wish I could have some clown loaches my wife and I love those little guys!

BRP

Well Known
I've been getting it on amazon but I have a prime membership so the shipping doesn't hit me so hard but it seems to be about the same price as the local shop. They do seem to poop a lot more though. I think it's what saved my big females life...she was almost dead floating upside down and very sick. She had big bulges in her tummy and I'm assuming she was constipated along with whatever else was wrong with her but once she started eating this food she was able to eliminate everything. Over time the bulges disappeared and she began to poop normally...I can't tell you how happy it makes me to see her swimming around the pond healthy as can be...I'm giving a lot of the credit to this awesome nutritional food.
That’s awesome to read. To me it sounds too that Repashy helped to solve this problem. Never change a winning team.

gsong321

That’s awesome to read. To me it sounds too that Repashy helped to solve this problem. Never change a winning team.
I really can't say enough about this food!...another thing I noticed recently is; My cory's haven't been laying eggs for over a year. I have four in the 29 gal, two males and two females...they used to lay eggs about twice a year and then stopped. I assumed it was because they were getting old but I've been feeding them Repashy for about a month and a half now. Since changing their diet I've noticed they're laying eggs right and left! This am is their fourth batch....I had been wanting to try to hatch some but they were so on and off...I gave up. Now I'm going to get everything together and try it again. It's got to be the Rapashy that's made the difference as I've done nothing else.

BRP

Well Known
You've got a winner!
Would be awesome if you could get some of these eggs to hatch.

Similar Aquarium Threads

2 3
Replies
Views
FinalFins
Replies
Views
Heros severus
Replies
Views
cooperbh
  • Question
  • SouthAmericanCichlids
  • Fish Food
Replies
Views
SouthAmericanCichlids

Random Great Page!

Did You Know...

Thank you to everyone that shares or links to the threads and articles on FishLore!

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom