Repashy for apistogramma

Rcslade124

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I am preparing my tank for the arrival of my apistogramma. So I was wondering everyone's feelings on rephasy as a staple food? I will probably do baby brine shrimp hatchery and some black worms later on.
As for rephasy as a staple is it a good idea?
Also which type would be better for apistogramma and tetras. I was thinking either the igalopo rainforest mix here.. Products by Size :: 3 oz Jar :: Igapo' Explorer 3 oz JAR - Repashy Ventures - Specialty Pet Products
Or would a higher carnivorous type like the grub pie be better like here
Products by Size :: 3 oz Jar :: Grub Pie Fish 3 oz JAR - Repashy Ventures - Specialty Pet Products

Sheldon13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don’t really use it as a staple for my fish, though they seem to love it. I do use it as a staple for my invertebrates and it works well for that.

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score
After a bit of research it says it’s a carnivore so I’d avoid the stuff with the fruits, nuts, and veggies.
After looking at what fish people recommend feeding the fish you’re referring to I’d avoid the bug diet as well. I just looked at my fish food and it’s 3-5% protein and fat and your talking about feeding them something that is much higher in fat and protein. Honestly I think it could lead to health issues.
Why are you trying to avoid the tradition fish foods? If your fish was an insectivore I’d say sure go for it but it doesn’t seem that way.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have grub pie and spawn & grow. My fish are all crazy for the grub pie, not so much the spawn & grow, but that's ok because btw spawn & grow is not recommended for most fish because of the high fat content. I don't feed grub pie too often because I use it to mix meds into and want them to love it like a treat. I think I would feed it with a variety of good quality pellet foods, but I do think it's good nutrition for the fish.

I especially like it for plecos and bottom feeders if you pour it onto driftwood or rocks. Mimics natural algae grazing.

Rcslade124

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well reading about apistogramma they eat alot of insect larvae and read that the love blackworms. They are carnivores so I want to have them eat the best possible. I dont plan to avoid traditional food but I want to feed them a nice round of food. I am going to get some cichlid pellets also. And feed them a cube of rephasy or 2 a week since it maybe over kill daily and some pellets the other days. I will be feeding the tetra flake and maybe they eat some of the repashy. I mean what happens if they all have high protein and want to spawn all the time. I'd be happy with that. That's why I'm asking trying to get a good plan for the fish before they arrive.

I have also thought about trying to add ghost shrimp if any store by me gets them in stock as a treat from time to time.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sounds like a good plan ;) You can add frozen bloodworms to the mix as a treat.

Keep your eye on the female. My regularly spawning female fish tend to lose weight if they are laying eggs too often. In that case, I feed them the Spawn & Grow. It's also good for fry and growing fish.

Rcslade124 said:
I have also thought about trying to add ghost shrimp if any store by me gets them in stock as a treat from time to time.
I don't know of they would eat the ghost shrimp, maybe, but I also worry about pathogens and parasites.

Rcslade124

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I didn't think about pathogens from shrimp. I feel at worst I get a shrimp colony growing. But that would be down the road.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Rcslade124 said:
I didn't think about pathogens from shrimp. I feel at worst I get a shrimp colony growing. But that would be down the road.
Yeah I really don't think it's a big risk, but I've seen some sick ghost shrimp and maybe i'm paranoid. You could also always do red cherry neo shrimp as another option or a color that doesn't stand out as much like wild or chocolate. The fish would definitely eat the shrimplets when they are seen, i'm thinking ghost shrimp do not reproduce as much in the tank. With enough cover, you might be able to get a colony going. Or you get some crazy hunters.......

Rcslade124

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The apistogramma are the main focus. The cardinals are just a dither for the apistogramma. So I'm just trying to figure out the plan I have 3 days until they arrive. Might add cardinals tomorrow so I can stop feeding ammonia. I process 3ppm a day.

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Rcslade124 said:
Well reading about apistogramma they eat alot of insect larvae and read that the love blackworms. They are carnivores so I want to have them eat the best possible. I dont plan to avoid traditional food but I want to feed them a nice round of food. I am going to get some cichlid pellets also. And feed them a cube of rephasy or 2 a week since it maybe over kill daily and some pellets the other days. I will be feeding the tetra flake and maybe they eat some of the repashy. I mean what happens if they all have high protein and want to spawn all the time. I'd be happy with that. That's why I'm asking trying to get a good plan for the fish before they arrive.

I’d feed it sparingly. Here’s what happens to humans with a diet too high in protein. I’d say the same thing would happen to fish. I agree I think the few times per week is fine. I thought you wanted it as a staple. Blood worms are a good treat from time to time but I’d pick rapashy or bloodworms. There are lots of feeding options. I think a good variety is the best option so they get a good mix in dietary needs.
spawning is hard for fish so I would not reccomend them spawning frequently. It will definitely shorten their lives.
https://www.healthline.com/health/too-much-protein#risks

Rcslade124

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Upon looking into rephasy it's not a whole lot more protein than some pellets and fat. Has higher fiber. Idk if fiber is as good for fish as humans. But I'll def feed a good mix.

BaneAquatics

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have several species of Apistos, here’s my recommendation on why Repashy is both a good choice and a bad choice.

Apistos like to sift through the sand, sometimes you’ll feel like they aren’t eating because they won’t go “crazy” and swarm for food. They’re shy, micro-predators. Sometimes I won’t even see my Apistos eat, because they like to wait for the frozen foods or the sinking pellets to break up and then they’ll pick it out of the sand. Because repashy doesn’t break down in water, you’ve gotta make sure the Apistos find it. If you set them up properly, it’s a perfect food for them to “graze” on from time to time. However, they still will prefer to sift through the sand for their food, in my experiences.

(I have Hongsloi and Bitaeniata. :) )

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score
The other thing to consider is the ash is fairly high at 10% and that is an indication of high non nitrogen protein could possibly be high in urea.
https://www.drovers.com/article/dos-and-donts-non-protein-nitrogen-use
No urea test was done though and urea can turn into Ammonia. Just another indication to not make it a staple.
mid you add up all the minerals listed below they are not even close to 10% so the ash isnt coming from the minerals.

BaneAquatics said:
I have several species of Apistos, here’s my recommendation on why Repashy is both a good choice and a bad choice.

Apistos like to sift through the sand, sometimes you’ll feel like they aren’t eating because they won’t go “crazy” and swarm for food. They’re shy, micro-predators. Sometimes I won’t even see my Apistos eat, because they like to wait for the frozen foods or the sinking pellets to break up and then they’ll pick it out of the sand. Because repashy doesn’t break down in water, you’ve gotta make sure the Apistos find it. If you set them up properly, it’s a perfect food for them to “graze” on from time to time. However, they still will prefer to sift through the sand for their food, in my experiences.

(I have Hongsloi and Bitaeniata. :) )
Makes sense my badis do this as well as my glass goby. I had the glass goby for a month and a half before I saw him take some food. I was starting to worry but he never thinned out so I knew he was eating.

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score
As long as your doing a good mix they should be fine if something is lacking or over compensating in one area it will get balanced out.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Rcslade124 said:
Thanks for the input. So I'm going to go get some omega one color enhancing cichlid pellets when I get my cardinals today.. I'll get the rephasy later. I already have freeze dried brine shrimp and blood worm treats. So I have snacks for them
If you are using freeze dried foods, I always moisten them first and squish all the air out to prevent the fish from swallowing too much air. It might not be a problem, but I've seen some concern over FD foods and bloating. No problems if you soak it first.

New Life Spectrum and North Fin are also good nutritious staple foods to get for a variety.

Rcslade124

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'll check them out I'm going to get some cardinals in a couple of hrs.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom