Repashy and possible overeating

jileha

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi everybody!

I'm thinking of trying some Repashy Meat Pie for my bettas. The results with Repashy Superfoods seem to be extremely good regarding the well-being, breeding, coloration etc. of all kinds of fish and inverts. They are supposed to continuously graze on blocks of the food, which would avoid aggression due to food rivalry and also overeating due to food being available not only for a few minutes each day.

Sounds all perfect, but what about bettas? The notorious overeating piggies among the fish? Does anybody have any experience with feeding Repashy Meat Pie to bettas? Or other finned piggies that tend to overindulge in food?

Thanks!

iloveengl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My concern with food blocks is the affect it can have on the water. Traditional food blocks can make the water disgusting pretty quickly, causing param spikes, cloudiness, and general grossness in the fish's home.

The ingredients sound great for meat-eating fish, though. Maybe use the stuff as a protein supplement, and just pick off tiny bits for your bettas.

Good luck! Let us know the results if you try it out.

jileha

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That's the good thing with this food. it doesn't disintegrate and can safely be left in the tank for at least 24 hours. Some people left it in much longer with no ill effects. The food just needs to be prepared at the right temperature to reach the proper consistency. i've read the reviews from a lot of users and they were all extremely positive.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=161390

I should have the food next week and will give it a try.

shuwae

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I usually make a small tray of the Repashy and cut it into small cubes. Size of the cubes depends on how many fish I have in the tank where they can eat it within an hour or so. My betta used to eat it without being too much of a piggy. If it is a lone betta, I think a cube the size of a pinky nail is good enough. Of course that is just an estimate. I only keep algae eaters now and have left the food over a day and half. Just make sure you're prepared by the smell when making it. Very smelly.

jileha

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I only keep algae eaters now...
OK, it's late...
This is what I read: I only keep aligators now...

Well, it is kinda similar.... Algae eaters... Aligators...

I think the super moons have been messing with my brain!

Very smelly.
The things we do for our pets... At least once!

Thanks for the size info. That gives me something to work with! Mine will have to share with some snails. Will be interesting to see how well (or not) that will work out. Although one of my bettas has already been sharing slices of zucchini with a bunch of mystery snails. he would go for the seeds with so much energy that the snails would be catapulted in all directions, but he would not intentionally push the snails away.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When I feed my bettas my gel food, I take a toothpick and pull off a couple tip sized pieces before giving the rest of the chunk to my other fish. I feed them right off the toothpick, and they even jump for it They need a lot, and most of them will eat till the explode.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom