Repaired 55g tank question

griffrat
Here is the situation. A guy that I work with had a 55 gallon that had a leak and was willing to off load it to me. I just had to patch the leak. So after scraping the out of the ancient silicone, cleaning, then scraping the out of the corners again, rubbing the areas to be siliconed with rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol). The time came to silicone the sides and after around a week of curing I am currently testing the tank out in the "I hope this is holding water) category. And at the hour mark all the water is still in the tank and no apparent leaks!!!

So here is my question to the esteemed members of this forum:

How long should I wait to see if the leak is fixed (i.e. let the filled tank sit in my garage)? Thanks for any and all advice, in advance!!!

fishrule101
I would wait about five days?? What kind of fish do you plan on keeping?? Freshwater or SW?? In Saltwater the salt creep gets out of alomst every spot in my tank so the salt creep might weaken you tank. But if doesn't leak for about five days( I put five days to make really really sure it won't break. Becuase it would suck to come home one day and see all you money and fish thrown in the trash.) I would start cycling.

griffrat
I would wait about five days?? What kind of fish do you plan on keeping?? Freshwater or SW?? In Saltwater the salt creep gets out of alomst every spot in my tank so the salt creep might weaken you tank. But if doesn't leak for about five days( I put five days to make really really sure it won't break. Becuase it would suck to come home one day and see all you money and fish thrown in the trash.) I would start cycling.

I was thinking on the lines of three days and filled the tank up behind my vehicle near the garage door thinking that if there was a catastrophic failure then the mess would be less of a clean up. It made sense to place it there since this is the beginning of the 4th of July vacation. Ooops. Well, I can empty and re-fill and see if that weakens the joints as well. I agree the suck factor would be extremely high on a soggy finished basement floor.

I am going to set up a communal Freshwater tank. I love the looks of the saltwater fish, but "cost" of mistakes is a greater setback. For example, I can get 20 neons for a community tank and still come out on the cheaper side when compared to a sw tank with the same number of fish.

Thanks for the idea of a five fay waiting period!!!! I do like the idea of draining and setting back up in a different location to see if the first time was a fluke...

griffrat
Well, the tank has been holding water now for a week. I am going to get some more substrate and then start the cycle. It has been a while since I have set up a tank, what is a good water testing kit?

Thanks all

fishrule101
Get the API master test kits for FW. Thoses really work and are way better than the test strips.

fishrule101
Also Saltwater is expensive but the outcome is worth every penny.

angelfish220
Yeah, I just wish I had the pennies to spend for saltwater!

COBettaCouple
Sounds good and I'd second the API master kit recommendation.

Oil_Fan
Also Saltwater is expensive but the outcome is worth every penny.

What?? Just because I spent $50 on a shrimp for my Saltwater tank!! And it's not like I have hundreds of $$ in LR.... heh

Good luck with the repaired tank.

griffrat
Well, the tank held its water, and got through the cycle. Much to the delight of the wife! She wanted fish as soon as the water held. I resisted her and let the tank cycle.

About three weeks ago I got the API test kit. Very nice kit indeed, thanks guys. The recommendation was awesome, and I would recommend it to anybody as well. I tested the water and all the parameters were good to go.

Now the wife is happy. We got 6 zebras, a couple platys and a couple of snails to start off with. That was about a week ago. Friday I tested the water and everything was in the ROCKSTAR range of goodness. So yesterday we got another female platy, a rainbow shark and some more plants.

I am looking to get some tiger barbs or cherry barb next as everything that I have read says those two types are compatible with the current members of the tank.

Thanks for the advice and the recommendations!!! See you around on the playground at recess!!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Rarotongan
Replies
Views
Claire Bear
  • Question
Replies
Views
ChrissFishes01
Replies