Rena xp4

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Mer-max, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Mer-max

Mer-max Well Known Member Member

Has anyone owned one? I'm thinking about buying one for my 75 gal cichlid tank and replacing one of the loud hob's. would it be enough to run the xp4 alone? Or is there just a single canister that could? I wanna stray from Jon's but wouldn't like the look of two intakes/ two spray bars. . .

2. llfish

llfish Well Known Member Member

I think the xp3 is rated at 175g, I am not sure what the xp4 is rated at. I just bought one myself and have to wait till Christmas to test it. From what I hear they are fantastic.

3. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

Xp4 is 450 gallons an hour but they say flip the water 6xs and right now the two hobs each run 350 an hour

4. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

Probably gunna end up being eheim 2080 professional 3. That should cut it, right? I want enough, but not over kill

5. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

It's $500 bucks for the pro 3 with media. That's a lot so I wanna do this right. I plan to buy a new canister in two weeks so I want all the input I can get. Also - it said all eheims do not come with media but the 2217 I ordered had some pads, a charcoal, the macaroni type stuff and the little puff balls with it. Does the pro 3 also? If so it would take it down to $399 before shipping. . . Any help is much appreciated!

6. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

7. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

I don't do eBay - bad experiences.

I also think I'm going to stick with eheim. I have a classic on my 55 planted and its great.

I also have the same stand for my 55 so I'd like all the tubing to be the same for the intake/ spraybar.

I only want one filter. I know the pro 3 has two intakes but I don't want to fight with two spray bars.

I also read this :  

The last part about all the fluvals not working anymore kind of did it for me.

Eheim is the top name. That aside - my classic is quiet, effective and that one wasn't too high considering it replaced $90 of hob with no problem and no change in water clarity/cycle loss

8. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

I just want advice/ experiences with the pro 3 and if the filtration should cover my tail, even tho its only a high 4xx gph

9. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

I'm thinking the pro 3 over the classic 2060 ( I think that's it ) because the pro 3 has more media to grow bacteria to keep ammonia at bay for the cichlids verses the slightly higher flow rate and way smaller media capabilities of the classic. . .

10. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

Any thoughts??

11. Jaysee

I don't think many of us have dropped 500 on a filter. Not one of my 12 canisters is an ehiem. I'm sure it's a fine filter though, with all the bells and whistles :)

I filter my large tanks at 10x an hour, with canisters. I am a huge advocate of big filtration systems.

12. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

If you don't buy from ebay you can go through one of the distributors: I love sunsun/aquatop canisters (practically the same) and fairly inexpensive.

13. Jaysee

They are also available on amazon.

I've had nothing but the best customer service from the sunsun sellers I've bought from on ebay.

14. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

I don't want to have multiple spray bars as I stated above. And i wanna keep the brands the same as my other tank. The 2017 classic runs my 55 fine but there's not only 9 fish in there. And it's planted.

15. Jaysee

Perhaps you should start a new thread about eheims.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice