Rena XP4 problem

1. Erica0107 Member Member

I just got a new Rena XP4, but I'm having a problem with it. It primed fine, but if I look through the clear filter body I can see that the water level inside the canister is dropping. I noticed it once, and manually filled it back up. But the water went back down again. I read that it could be due to air getting in somewhere on the intake side, but I can't figure out where. Any ideas?

2. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

How far down is it going?

I prime my filters by filling them up with water manually, with a pitcher. Then I put the head on it - some water overflows, so have something under it.

The filter can make water noise if there's air trapped in it. I rock my filters to get it out.

3. lorabell Well Known Member Member

I have 4 of these filters of various sizes.....lol.....I literally sat and cried with my first one because I wasnt priming it right....but I just love them now.....they work like a charm and keep every tank I have them in sparkling!!!!!

This may help......lift the switch that shuts off the water, turn the filter off(unplug it)...open the canister on all 4 latches, lift it off then just reset it....it possibly may not have enough vacume going on.....whenever Ive had troubles this is the first thing I do.....

I have even ever called the company......also (as directed by their tech support) in the rena4 I was advissed to remove the sparkling pad....its so fine that it actually doesnt allow the water to pass through it properly......

4. Erica0107 Member Member

Its about 2 inches down from the top of the clear part.

I'll try that LoraBell. Thanks!

5. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

If it's still pumping water, I would just rock it back and forth. It's trapped air - all mine do it, which is why I fill it up manually like I said in my edit.

6. Erica0107 Member Member

I did fill it up manually after the first time I noticed the dropped water level. I rocked it too. It seemed fine after I did all of that yesterday, but this morning it was back down anyways.

7. lorabell Well Known Member Member

Try my little hint.....also are your hoses too long????? Been there and done that also....lol..good luck!!!

8. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah I don't use the sparkling pads either.

9. Erica0107 Member Member

I reseated it like you said lorabell. For now it seems to be fine. I'll have to give it some time and see if it happens again though.

I cut the hoses as directed, so it's not that. I do have the micro filtration pad in there. Maybe I'll have to take that out.

10. hacksaw15 Member Member

I had this same problem with my XP4 and one of my XP3's. I turned the flow down around half way the filter filled up. I ran it that way for a day or two then I opened the flow all the way and it stayed full. I have to do this anytime I open the filter up.

11. callichma Well Known Member Member

When I had a problem with my XP4 I emailed the company through the website, and one of their tech support people emailed me a solution. If it's a new canister, I would definitely contact the company. Who wants to hassle with the filter each time you open it up.

Hope you get it figured out. If you are still having the problem, let me know and I'll share what I did when I had a problem with mine doing that.

12. hacksaw15 Member Member

Even though my canisters only get opened three or four time a year I'd like to know what you did to solve the problem.

13. callichma Well Known Member Member

Wow. I have to clean mine out every month. What do you do to keep yours clean for so long? I just heard a trick of keeping scuds (copepods) in the canister to eat all the mulm that collects and clogs the filter media. I know I feed my fish too much, but they are spoiled.

When I was having the problem of dropping water level in the canister, I had allowed the tank level to drop during a water change (with the filter still running) so the intake was sucking air. I turned it off, emptied the canister, and started all over. That's when the trouble started. I realized (after emptying and restarting the filter several times without success) that I had not correctly primed the outflow. So I unplugged the canister, pulled the lever of the disconnect, removed the cap to the outflow, found the funnel, and filled (primed) the outflow tubing--it doesn't take very much. Then with the canister empty and the baskets all fitting tightly together, I replaced the lid making sure that the rubber gasket was clean. I closed the fasteners on diagonal corners then reconnected the lever piece snugly and closed it. I waited a good 5 minutes for it to self prime then plugged it in and held my breath. It worked perfectly! Also, I didn't have good luck with turning down the flow rate. I ended up turning the water flow toward the back glass which effectively decreased the current. Good luck with your XP. I love mine when it's working right. Tech support was very helpful to me for another problem (spray bar putting out excessive bubbles), so if nothing else works, contact them. Let me know how it works.

And one more thing, there is a minimum and maximum distance for the canister below the water line. Check that you are within that (if you haven't already.)

14. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I only open them twice a year, but I have MASSIVE filtration systems.

I use ceramic prefilter rings before the mechanical media - it traps the large particles without clogging up the finer media.

15. CichlidSWAGA Well Known Member Member

should have got a fluval! haha just kidding

16. Erica0107 Member Member

Well so far so good after taking the lid off and reseating it yesterday. The water level has stayed filled. Thank you LoraBell!!!

Lol CichlidSWAGA! I think the Rena is a good filter. I'm just a nitwit who doesn't know how to use it, lol.

17. hacksaw15 Member Member

Over feeding will have you cleaning a filter more than you should. ON my overstocked goldfish tank I have a XP4, XP3 & a Aquaclear 110. With those three sharing the job that is the main reason for the long time between filter maintenance. The rest of my tanks may be a little understocked. I also removed the polishing pad and replaced it with some of that Marineland pad that comes in a roll and you cut to size. A lot of us don't do filter maintenance on our canisters until the flow starts to slow down.

18. callichma Well Known Member Member

I need to take some platies to the lfs and cut down on feeding, I know.

Jaysee, I have graduated sponges (coarse to fine) in the bottom tray. Would it help to put the prefilter ceramic rings before the sponges?

19. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

They are designed to be the first stage of filtration - I think it makes a difference. I think I only have the coarse sponges in the 3s and 4. It's also a good site for bacteria to grow, so I don't see any downside to using it.