Removing sulfur pre the RO/DI system.

Thunder_o_b

We are on well water. So I have an extensive RO/DI system I built. Last year the aquifer under went a change. We now have high sulfur content in the water. The DI resin chamber takes care of this but the increase of sulfur has dramatically lowered the life of said resin. Also I am now getting slime bacteria slowly growing. I am planing on breaking the system down for full service and cleaning. It is around seven years old.

So to my question. I have two house filters pre input to the RO/DI system. Will the addition of two carbon filters between the house filters and the RO/DI system remove the sulfur? I would really like to get back to the long life span of the DI chamber pre sulfur.

My system. I Finally Got Around To Doing A Writeup On My System. | Reverse Osmosis - Deionization Forum | 367737

RayClem

Do you measure the water conductivity (TDS ppm) after the RO stage, but before the DI stage? My system typically runs less than 20 ppm TDS.

RO membranes do not last indefinitely. If your RO membrane is thin or has developed small holes, anything passing through the RO membrane now has to be absorbed by the DI resin. Although I have a DI stage on my system, I have not replaced the DI resin in years. I used it back when I had saltwater reef aquariums, but do not bother now that I have only fresh water aquariums.

Sulfur, whether in the form or sulfide ion or sulfate ion is a fairly large ion which should be readily removed by the RO membrane and should never reach the DI resin stage. That is why I am concerned that your RO membrane might need to be replaced. Disconnect the water line going from the RO membrane into the DI unit and check the conductivity. I believe your system has a built in TDS meter, but if you do not already have one, you might want to pick up a cheap one to double check the figure.

Thunder_o_b

Do you measure the water conductivity (TDS ppm) after the RO stage, but before the DI stage? My system typically runs less than 20 ppm TDS.

RO membranes do not last indefinitely. If your RO membrane is thin or has developed small holes, anything passing through the RO membrane now has to be absorbed by the DI resin. Although I have a DI stage on my system, I have not replaced the DI resin in years. I used it back when I had saltwater reef aquariums, but do not bother now that I have only fresh water aquariums.

Sulfur, whether in the form or sulfide ion or sulfate ion is a fairly large ion which should be readily removed by the RO membrane and should never reach the DI resin stage. That is why I am concerned that your RO membrane might need to be replaced. Disconnect the water line going from the RO membrane into the DI unit and check the conductivity. I believe your system has a built in TDS meter, but if you do not already have one, you might want to pick up a cheap one to double check the figure.
That is a very good point. The membrane is like 7 years old. With the pre filters I have gotten long life from it. But it most likely should be replaced. There Is a TDS meter in the system but *blush* the batteries died a bit ago and I have not replaced. When it was working I was getting 0 TDS most of the time with 1 every so often.

RayClem

That is a very good point. The membrane is like 7 years old. With the pre filters I have gotten long life from it. But it most likely should be replaced. There Is a TDS meter in the system but *blush* the batteries died a bit ago and I have not replaced. When it was working I was getting 0 TDS most of the time with 1 every so often.

The thing that kills the membranes is chlorine. Since you have well water, yours might last a little longer. Replace the membrane and put new batteries in the TDS meter.

You might want to pick up an inexpensive TDS pen tester. They are around $15.

Unless know you have stuff that leaks past your new RO membrane, you might try leaving the DI cartridge out of the system. People normally use them for reef systems as corals are so sensitive to contaminants. For freshwater, they may be an unnecessary expense.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
LowConductivity
Replies
Views
jacob thompson
Replies
Views
Jesterrace
Replies
Views