Removing Substrate From Established Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Klaus&Frannie, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Klaus&Frannie

Klaus&Frannie New Member Member

hi everyone! i have had 2 goldfish (klaus and frannie), in a fully cycled 20 gallon tank for 6 months now. I will be moving to a bigger tank within the year, but in the meantime, the bigger fish (klaus) keeps sucking up and spitting pebbles out. i have thought he was choking on pebbles more than once and really want to get rid of them. had i more time to research i may have just gone bare bottom, or chosen sand instead of pebbles. it seems like a big undertaking and i am not even sure it would be a good idea to change or remove the substrate at this point. any and all advice is welcome, thank you in advance!

2. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

Typically goldfish will put whatever in their mouth and spit them out. They'll do this with sand too or even. My cichilds will try to grab food from the sand and they spit some stuff out.

There's always risk to taking gravel or any substrate out since there are so many BB in them.

If your getting something big in the coming months I would just wait it out and not go through the trouble.

3. C

ChrisA New Member Member

When you move up to the bigger tank, whether you switch to bare bottom or use a different substrate, scoop some of the current gravel into a couple of mesh filter media bags and leave them at the bottom/corners of the new tank for a while just to make sure you don't remove too much BB. I read that tip on another thread on here. Did that when I swapped out my inert gravel for Seachem Flourish and it seemed to work great! Good luck. (Oh, and I'm sure you know this, but if you upgrade to a new/larger filter... move the old one to the new tank for a while too so that the BB comes along).

4. OP
    OP
    Klaus&Frannie

Klaus&Frannie New Member Member

okay that is honestly what I thought, I just needed to hear it from someone else! I might just have to start on their new tank sooner than I had planned, I can't believe how much I am enjoying taking care of them. Thanks for your help!

Okay great, thank you!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice