Removing Snails...

andiuk

Valued Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

does anyone have a tried n tested good method for ridding their tank of snails? i know ultimately nothing is going to be a cure, but still...

i have my mollies who eat them as and when they find them, which helps, but @ the moment i'm having a bit of an "outbreak".

at the moment, i've weighted down a bit of courgette which i'm going to leave overnight and remove tomorrow... i'm also going to cut back a little on their food... any other ideas!?

andy

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Cutting back on the food and a good gravel vacuum should help but it won't be an instant solution. Snails usually multiply in proportion to the food available to them baiting them is also a good idea. There are also chemicals for killing snails but I cannot recommend them as they will some times damage your plants, kill your fish and cause your tank to have a big ammonia spike because of the dead snails. A fishes stomach is about the same size as one eye so they really don't need as much food as we think they do
Carol

andiuk

Valued Member
Reaction score
yeah, that's pretty much all i'd planned to do... just wondered if anyone had any magic tricks up their sleeves!

and id never use solutions to get rid of them... i know a friend tried that once, and the next morning - dead fish!

thanks hon!

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
if anyone finds a cure......i'd love to know too! most of my tanks are under control, but i must be pulling out 30+ a day at the mo out of my galaxy tank. i'm sure its cos i cant gauge their food yet. my other tanks are fully stocked, so food doesnt get to the bottom !!! i was considering the chemical route, but i've decided def not now!!! i'll stick to a net, a spare hour, and a pot of boiling water (sorry, i have no compassion for pesky pond snails, so its a quick death. cant release them, cant keep them, so thats the answer). i find morning is best as the tank light is off and the sun comes in so the room is light and they cover the front glass, so they're easy to catch and wipe a few out then! they seem drawn to the light.
also yoyo loaches will eat them up for you if you've space and they're compatible with your other fish?
tan

gmann21193

Valued Member
Reaction score
a guy i know who works at petsmart did an experiment. He took 50 pest snails from the plant display tank at petsmart and put them in his tank. he let them multiply and then put a couple clown loaches in there. within 2 days EVERY SNAIL WAS GONE. those loaches really go crazy he said. hope that helps a bit

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
gmann21193 said:
a guy i know who works at petsmart did an experiment. He took 50 pest snails from the plant display tank at petsmart and put them in his tank. he let them multiply and then put a couple clown loaches in there. within 2 days EVERY SNAIL WAS GONE. those loaches really go crazy he said. hope that helps a bit
wow!!!! if only i could rent one for a couple of days! tan

gmann21193

Valued Member
Reaction score
well you can always bring it back. i think they hav like a 14 day gurantee or something. i dont know if they will giv you a complete refund... but as long as you keep the reiept..you can try it.. or like call your local petsmart and ask them about it.

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
thats true!!!

griffin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
is the 14 day only for dead fish? it'd be great if it was a full refund - go rent a fish to get rid of snails and then return it

gmann21193

Valued Member
Reaction score
yea i think so.... but maybe try calling them and try to work something out.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
They should have a "rent a loach" service. :

gmann21193

Valued Member
Reaction score
lol write a letter ;D

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator