Removing scuds?? Help

1. PedroThePie Member Member

So in a new shipment of plants, I got scuds apparently. They seem harmless, but are eating up my moss! Anyway to get rid of them? I have nothing in the tank besides a bunch of plants, and one tester cherry shrimp ((I'll try to get the guy out if removal calls for invertebrate killer)) They fly around like bees, and some are way too small to hardly see.

2. PedroThePie Member Member

Okay, don't know of this will work, but if I nuked the ammonia ((this is a newly cycled tank and I've removed the shrimp)) will this get rid of them? Plants use ammonia as nutrients, and the shrimp will just stay in the holding tank. Any chance of the ammonia hurting the plants? I've heard that scuds can survive up to 1.5 levels of ammonia, so I'm going higher than that.

3. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Please send those scuds to me.......

4. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Scuds don't eat moss, they eat decaying organic matter. So I promise they won't hurt your plants. They are GREAT food for your fish, though, very nutritious, and fish love them. I am always excited when I see I've got scuds as hitchhikers.

5. PedroThePie Member Member

Sorry mate, already tore down my tank and nuked the gravel with ammonia to kill any left.
    I've read too many stories of cherry shrimp getting attacked when small or freshly molted. I'm not taking a chance. No fish in this tank, only shrimp, which luckily I got them all out before destroying it. Normally I love hitch hikers, mostly snails, they're so cute, but these I've heard too much about to take a chance.