removing plant container Question

1. learninmo Member Member

i think i missed a basic when planting? plant i bought was in little plastic container with slanted holes where roots came out. Was I supposed to have removed that container before i tried to plant it? I just dropped it in the 10g, and let sit there. I did try to cover the roots some with gravel........how should i be planting the plant? thanks ahead of time:;juggle

2. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

You can remove and place in substrate or leave as is. If there is wool like material remove that. What kind of plant is it? What substrate do you have?

3. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Yep, you want to remove the pot thing and anything that may be around the roots. In some cases that may be a jell or a wool type thing. If it is the wool then you need to wash the plants really well because I've had that stuff irritate my fishs' gills before.

Planted depends on the type of plant. Anubias, Java Ferns, and such plants need to be tied to things with their roots in the open while other plants, like Amazon Swords, need to be rooted in the substrate.

4. learninmo Member Member

oh, sorry....substrate is gravel. I am looking for some pool sand, and some rocks. Plant is a sword.

5. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Sounds good :). Yeah just take the pot off and all the stuff around the roots and put the plant into the gravel. Just the roots though. You don't want to bury the crown of the plant. Also Swords are heavy root feeders so you want some root tabs to put in the tank with it. They grow much much better when they have root tabs.

6. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

7. learninmo Member Member

thank you. you have all been most helpful. when i bought the plant, no instructions were given; this group has been great!:;juggle

8. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Tweezers work well to get most of that rock wool off. Try not to damage the roots too much. Take your time.

:)