Removing Nerite Snails from Glass

Laichyee

Hi all, is there any way to safely remove the nerite snails from the glass and place them on the hardscape instead?

My Nerite snails have been on the glass cleaning non-stop, I think those hardworking snails are focusing on the wrong area and I would love to guide them without hurting them.

I tried to pull them off from the glass gently but realized that they were very sturdily stuck on the glass. I am afraid that if I pull them too hard, only the shell comes off.

mrjohn

Well Known
Hi all, is there any way to safely remove the nerite snails from the glass and place them on the hardscape instead?

My Nerite snails have been on the glass cleaning non-stop, I think those hardworking snails are focusing on the wrong area and I would love to guide them without hurting them.

I tried to pull them off from the glass gently but realized that they were very sturdily stuck on the glass. I am afraid that if I pull them too hard, only the shell comes off.
I don't necessarily pull them. I just use two fingers and gently sway them from side to side. They usually figure it out and let go of the glass. I'm also not sure if they'd stay in one area if it lacked food. Maybe there is some algae or biofilm still on that particular area of glass that they're getting at.

OP
L

Laichyee

I don't necessarily pull them. I just use two fingers and gently sway them from side to side. They usually figure it out and let go of the glass. I'm also not sure if they'd stay in one area if it lacked food. Maybe there is some algae or biofilm still on that particular area of glass that they're getting at.

Hi, thanks for the tip! I had one that ventured out on to my Anubias on the first day(it was covered in black algae), the nerite snail spent a good 5 mins on it and left for the glass eventually. He has been on the glass ever since

mrjohn

Well Known
Hi, thanks for the tip! I had one that ventured out on to my Anubias on the first day(it was covered in black algae), the nerite snail spent a good 5 mins on it and left for the glass eventually. He has been on the glass ever since
No problem! I have two of them and honestly they haven't been the best cleaners lately. They just ride each other all day. They just do whatever they want!

OP
L

Laichyee

No problem! I have two of them and honestly they haven't been the best cleaners lately. They just ride each other all day. They just do whatever they want!

we should speak to their bosses sometime. hahha

Fisheye

Well Known
There's biofilm and perhaps algae you can't see on the glass. Best to leave them alone and let them do their thing. They will find their way to everything in time.

flyinGourami

Well Known
They are probably on the glass for a reason. I would leave them, if there is "cleaning" needed I'm sure they'll eventually do it. IME its usually best to just leave animals alone in situations like this, unnecessary handling is often harmful. Although I doubt you'll cause any damage, if the snails left the plants in the first place then they'll probably leave again.

Dewclaw83

Well Known
I also “wiggle” my snails when I need them to let go. They usually get the memo.

Just as an interesting point, I did a project for school looking at ramshorn and bladder snail presence and their effect on plant biomass. This meant that every day, I had to remove the plants from the containers to measure them, which mean there couldn’t be any snails on them/in the container when I dumped stuff out. I’d reach in with tweezers and had wiggle them for a good while at first to get them to let go. They got to know that the tweezers meant to let go, and so by the end of the experiment, I just had to touch them with the tweezers and they’d let go. It was an interesting side experiment on conditioning

OP
L

Laichyee

There's biofilm and perhaps algae you can't see on the glass. Best to leave them alone and let them do their thing. They will find their way to everything in time.

I tried sticking a thin piece of plastic against my glass hoping that they could climb onto it. I was observing them and realize that whenever they reach the plastic, they will realize that it's too clean and they will do a 180 degrees turn.

I also “wiggle” my snails when I need them to let go. They usually get the memo.

Just as an interesting point, I did a project for school looking at ramshorn and bladder snail presence and their effect on plant biomass. This meant that every day, I had to remove the plants from the containers to measure them, which mean there couldn’t be any snails on them/in the container when I dumped stuff out. I’d reach in with tweezers and had wiggle them for a good while at first to get them to let go. They got to know that the tweezers meant to let go, and so by the end of the experiment, I just had to touch them with the tweezers and they’d let go. It was an interesting side experiment on conditioning

This might be an interesting academic paper to start on! Conditioning freshwater snails, maybe one day freshwater snails can be the centrepiece of our tanks . haha

ahh man, as I was replying to everyone's tips and advice, one of the snails has wandered off the glass of the aquarium and into the dense jungle of my scape. I didn't even have the time to bid goodbye. I can only wish him all the best and hope to see him again soon.

but jokes aside, I will constantly try to keep a lookout for him to make sure that he is doing okay.

Moonchild848

Lol....i am getting a nerite tomorrow...there won't be any riding of any kind as my tank is just 5 gallons...But yeah i hear they are the best algae cleaners....I watched a lot of youtube videos sped up to show them cleaning ....

Mongo75

Well Known
I knock mine off all the time when I'm cleaning. Not on purpose, but something always ends up bumping him.

Now, I've got to ask, have you ever heard the expression "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink"? No matter where you place your snail, (s)he will go wherever (s)he wants, and there's not much you can do about it. Also, picking him/her off the glass will just stress your snail out, and you don't want that, do you? Yeah, guilt trip .

Dechi

Well Known
Clean the glass and there won’t be anything left to eat on it. Make sure they have enough food elsewhere.

Wrench

Well Known
I have like 8? In my 55 gallon and 4 in my 28.
They are all over the place and getting bigger....they are pretty trippy to watch lol...looks like a big booger on the glass

Moonchild848

okay well make that 'tomorrow' then...to get me a wee nerite. Since Goldie grew so ridiculously huge (apple/mystery or whatever the heck she was)...I have been reading so many fantastic things about nerites. Since i am worried that my nerite will grow to be huge (lol), i saw that the olive one is the smaller one..Plus the funny one with horns. But truth be told, i would love to get a red one with spots. But i am just worried about me loving it and nurturing it into a full on African land snail ....everything i have adopted...miniature bunnies etc have all turned out to be massive and it happens all the time..So maybe i gotta pick a tiny but duller coloured new friend. I got three gorgeous marimo balls today and the tank is all set up with different decorations etc. I am so excited.....if i tell other ppl i am excited about a snail, they look at me weird. But on here, I know i will be understood hahah

OP
L

Laichyee

oh no bad news guys, one of my nerite snails died. I was cleaning the tank when I accidentally knock off him off the glass. I had him placed on a piece of leave and he was moving around until yesterday, I found him on the bottom of the substrate with his door shut and overturned. I picked him up and placed him on my driftwood and haven't been moving till I picked him up just now. He smelled bad, and bad stuff came out from his shell.

Any reasons why? My water parameters are okay and my snails are really small. Is that the reason why? my other nerite snail is doing okay, in fact pretty well. He is weaving in and out of the tank, up and down. Any directions you name.

Moonchild848

omg guess what? when i went to big Al's last week (they are supposed to be the best and have much better conditions)...I asked for the nerite snails. To be honest, none of them were moving much but i thought okay...well the store has great quality so i will be patient. Unlike the tiny mystery snails that were moving around at petsmart, these guys looked a bit listless. Anyway i put them in the tank and one keep falling backwards. I put them on the driftwood and took some pics. And they never moved at all. I was told by my family to 'leave them alone' lol but they didn't eat the tiny algae wafer i crushed up for them nor the vegie i had blanched. They never ate once. I think they were dying when i got them...I didn't return for a refund as it's a bit of a drive and it wasn't worth it for 8 bucks. I guess i am done with snails for now :-( Sorry little nerites...i tried my best....When i did remove them they smelled bad...:-(

lojack

oh no bad news guys, one of my nerite snails died. I was cleaning the tank when I accidentally knock off him off the glass. I had him placed on a piece of leave and he was moving around until yesterday, I found him on the bottom of the substrate with his door shut and overturned. I picked him up and placed him on my driftwood and haven't been moving till I picked him up just now. He smelled bad, and bad stuff came out from his shell.

Any reasons why? My water parameters are okay and my snails are really small. Is that the reason why? my other nerite snail is doing okay, in fact pretty well. He is weaving in and out of the tank, up and down. Any directions you name.
I think nerites only live a couple of years in the best conditions. And it’s hard to know how old it was when you got it.

OP
L

Laichyee

I think nerites only live a couple of years in the best conditions. And it’s hard to know how old it was when you got it.

Mine is a really tiny one. I would say not larger than a fingernail of an average pinky. Sorry for the late reply. The normal ones in fish store are quite large right?

lojack

Mine is a really tiny one. I would say not larger than a fingernail of an average pinky. Sorry for the late reply. The normal ones in fish store are quite large right?
They can be. But there’s different kinds of nerites. I had zebra nerites which are like an inch or so in size. I also had some horned (I think it was the name) that got to max size about the size of a large green pea.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Blacksheep1
Replies
Views
Apisto88
Replies
Views
FloydtheBetta
Replies
Views
Taff
Replies
Views
Laura306

Random Great Page!

Did You Know...

The aquarium hobby comes with it's own set of acronyms, terms and other lingo. Here is a list of those with explanations of what they mean:
Aquarium Abbreviations and Acronyms

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom