20 Gallon Tank removing live sand?

lucky strike 21

Hey everyone my 20 gallon is almost nearing the end of the cycle,I was doing a lot of reading on sand beds in sw I don't have a deep sand bed so I'm thinking of just going barebottom but if I remove the live sand will it affect the cycle?how much flow is too much?
Future stocking list
2 false clownfish
1 cleaner shrimp
1 peppermint shrimp
Would these fish and inverts be ok in a bb tank?

Mike

Those fish and inverts should be ok w/out the sand and since it's a shallow sand bed and the tank has live rock in it, it should be ok to remove the sand. If you want to be cautious you could just remove half now and maybe the other half in a week or so. I think most of the beneficial bacteria you'll need will be in or on the live rock though.

lucky strike 21

Those fish and inverts should be ok w/out the sand and since it's a shallow sand bed and the tank has live rock in it, it should be ok to remove the sand. If you want to be cautious you could just remove half now and maybe the other half in a week or so. I think most of the beneficial bacteria you'll need will be in or on the live rock though.
thank you mike I set up a circulation pump facing the front wall of the aquarium my hitchhikers seem to like the flow. is that the right amount of flow?1300 gph

ryanr

I agree with Mike.

That pump is a fair flow (65x) - might be a little too much, unless you're going for SPS corals. Can you vary the speed of the pump? I'd slow it down to half that if possible. (~30x)

lucky strike 21

I agree with Mike.

That pump is a fair flow (65x) - might be a little too much, unless you're going for SPS corals. Can you vary the speed of the pump? I'd slow it down to half that if possible. (~30x)
I was thinking soft corals since I have never had a reef tank, I don't think there's a way to turn it down unless I change it into power head mode which is strong but it doesn't cover the whole tank

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Stang Man
  • Question
Replies
Views
CannonsFish
Replies
Views
Jesterrace
Replies