Removing fish

I recently added two cherry Barbs to my 55 gallon, however they consistently nip at my angel fishes find. What is the best way to remove them from the tank? I plan on returning them to the store.

Solution
To catch fish in a 55 gallon remove 10 or more gallons first. That way there is less chance of anyone jumping out.

I know what a 55 is like on your own. Sometimes I get my wife at one end with a net while I stay at the other end with another net.

You could always use a bottle trap if the tank has to many things blocking the easy use of a net.

I am surprised that cherry barbs are nippy?
They would be in danger of being eaten by adult angels I would have thought?
I actually empty some of the water and caught them by placing my quarantined tank in the water. I returned them to the store and got a few swartzy Corys.
Thank you
Barbs are notorious fin nippers. If you have the original bag they came in fill it about halfway with tankwater and net the fish adding them to the bag and close with a rubberband. If not you could probably use a plastic gallon bag or even put them in a bowl or cup and rubberband plastic wrap to the top just for transport.

I am just concerned more Barbs would nip more. One of the Angel's actually died, I am assuming based on stress.I have the original bag, my problem is catching them wo stressing the other fish in the tank. Any ideas?

I would use a cup or a net.

They also might nip less if you had a few more cherry barbs. Works that way with a lot of nippers, bigger the school, less they go after other species.

I recommend adding more cherry barbs as well.

People often make the mistake of purchasing fish in pairs; I have done it myself. Some fish do better individually; some fish do better in small groups. There are not a lot of fish that do well in pairs.

Cherry barbs and most barbs and tetras will be a lot less stressed and have a lesser tendency to nip if they are kept in a group of 6 or more.

I am just concerned more Barbs would nip more. One of the Angel's actually died, I am assuming based on stress.I have the original bag, my problem is catching them wo stressing the other fish in the tank. Any ideas?
Maybe try at feeding time when they are distracted slightly. Might make it a bit easier, but not a guarantee.

To catch fish in a 55 gallon remove 10 or more gallons first. That way there is less chance of anyone jumping out.

I know what a 55 is like on your own. Sometimes I get my wife at one end with a net while I stay at the other end with another net.

You could always use a bottle trap if the tank has to many things blocking the easy use of a net.

The opposite is usually true for shoaling fish like barbs and tetras. When they have enough of their own species to hold their attention and make them feel more secure they tend to ignore other fish.

Are you sure it’s the little cherry barbs nipping?
Not the rainbow shark or the phantom tetras?

That's a good point.

I can see a lot of resons why the cherry barbs would be stressed, they are prey to have the animals in the tank, and there should be 8 or 12 of them to form a school. I do not know if they would stop nipping if you got more, I heard for years that cherry barbs can be nippy. But like many "nippy" fish, a large tank, a large school, and proper tank mates, and proper decoration can eriminate this problem.

Catch 2 little fish in a 55 gallon can be a pain. I personally would have someone at the other end of the tank with a second net to scare them. It is likly to scare the other fish, I dont think that can be a avoided sorry. Try to trick them into a bottlefirst. Call the store and make sure that the will take them back before going through the trouble.

I actually empty some of the water and caught them by placing my quarantined tank in the water. I returned them to the store and got a few swartzy Corys.
Thank you

Solution

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom