Removing empty snail shells?

1. G

Gail Menne New Member Member

Anyone have a good method to remove empty snails shells from sand substrate? Awhile back I had a ton of trumpet snails so I introduced assassin snails. Now I have snail graveyard littered across my black sand.
    I'm going to try sifting the sand with a sieve today but there has to be something easier.

2. Chuck Wheat

Chuck Wheat Valued Member Member

I've not had to deal with this yet, but my first thought would be just tweezers or fingers but maybe someone else might have a more efficient method. I'm mostly commenting so that I'll be notified when someone else chimes in because I'm letting my pond/ramshorn snails build up a little and will eventually get an assassin snail.

3. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

If the shells are small enough a turkey baster would suck them up

4. Kasye

Kasye Valued Member Member

I used to have a puffer tank, and I would just manually go through with a turkey baster and suck up the shells.

5. OP
    OP
    G

Gail Menne New Member Member

I can't use any kind of sucking method, the shells are heavier then the sand. Sifting seemed to work pretty well, probably got a good 50+ out today. Some got buried during cleaning, they will eventually work to the surface and I'll sift them out too.

I'll never introduce snails again, at least not any that can reproduce. The spiked nerites I have are pretty cool.

6. g

g25racer Valued Member Member

A fine mesh cooking strainer would work best. I recently used one to get rocks out of a few of my tanks. Worked like a charm. Even faster if u have a WaveMaker.

7. Pringlethesnail

Pringlethesnail Well Known Member Member

I have sand and I use like a slotted spoon. It's deep like a ladle and has slits in the bottom

8. T

Teishokue Well Known Member Member

a vacuum would do well. make sure the power of the vac isnt super strong, essentially what you want to do is pull up sand. sand will fall and shell will lay on top of the sand. then pluck them out. i'd use a mesh in the vac so you wont get sand sucked up

9. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

When I had a problem with tons of shells, I used to use a strainer ( get one from the dollar store ) with a wire mesh - works the best so the sand goes through. They have small sized ones ( about the diameter of a cup ) so it fits in the tank well without knocking stuff over or having to remove decor.