Removing eggs???

skippi

Reaction score
Ok just got a new batch off eggs and both parents have done their thing. Now my question is if I remove the eggs and hand raise them what do I do????  I have an empty 10 gallon with heater and filter already cycled. Do I need to put anything in the water?? like blue stuff? what temp do they need what else do I have to do.... I don't want to leave them in the other tank cause there still are snails and it hasn't worked that way yet so I want to try to do it myself.  Please Help!!!!!!!

Heidi

Ok I moved the slate with the eggs to my totally empty 10 gallon tank. No snails or anything in here. I put the airstone at the base of the slate and added a sponge on the filter.. Please let me know if there is anything else I should be doing. Thank you

Heidi

OP
S

skippi

Reaction score
do I have to add anything to the water???? or just do the water changes daily and leave the water clear??

Heidi

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I didn't add anything to my fry tank (no blue substance) and the Angels were all OK And yes ... 50 % DAILY water changes for at least first 2 months of their lives! That's what I did in my 10 gallon tank with Angelfish fry Then, I moved them to a 30 gallon when they were bigger. And now I have only 6 of them left, and 4 are going soon to a 110 gallon tank!!! The other 2 will be either in a 30 or a 75 gallon tank

OP
S

skippi

Reaction score
ok will do... now do I have to remove the white eggs as they turn white or do you just wait to see what hatches then remove them all at once??

Heidi

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If possible, you should be removing dead eggs to prevent the live eggs from being infected with Fungus. Fungus will start to grow on white eggs that are not removed. However, if you pull a white egg and it is glued to a live egg, leave it alone, as you may accidentally pull the live egg as well. You can use a turkey baster to gently suck the dead eggs out wherever possible. But I found that turkey buster was creating too much suction for my eggs, and I didn't use it. What I used were precise tweezers. I picked up dead eggs one by one with the tweezers, being extremely careful not to touch or pull the live ones. If you have shaky hands, tweezers may not be the best option for you. If you do use tweezers, be VERY careful with them. If you change the water every day, 50%, your live eggs should not get Fungus even if some is left on the dead eggs. I've had some fungus on the dead eggs that I could not remove, and nothing bad happened to the angels. But maybe I was just lucky. See what Carol thinks of this as well. Good luck

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Isabella is right on with her advice. I did use the turkey baster to remove fungused eggs but used it to shoot sprays of water at teh eggs. usually the fungused ones will come loose and fall to the bottom.
I used Methylene Blue on the first couple of batches of eggs and not the rest, didn't see too much difference in fungusing eggs, as Isabella said with 50% water changes there isn't usually too much spreading of fungus.
Your bubble stone is very important. It needs to be close enough to the eggs to make water constantly move over the eggs. At this stage it will help keep them clean and well oxygenated. Mom and Dad would normally do this.
Above all- enjoy the experience
Carol

OP
S

skippi

Reaction score
I removed all of the white eggs minus a couple that I couldn't getbecause were attached to good eggs. Some of the eggs have what look to be black centers is this good??? or is it a sign that there are going bad.. I am hoping good and maybe I can get some wigglers out of this batch atleast. I think the other batches mighthave lasted but cleo and gizmo weren't removing the white eggs so that infested the whole batch then... Keep your fingers crossed and will update again tomorrow..

THANKS
Heidi

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The black dot is their eyes Got a strong magnifying glass?
Carol

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
YES! That's their little tiny-bitty eyes! ;D I loved that when I saw this with my babies In no time, you'll see their tiny tails wiggling Make sure the filter is save for them and won't suck them in once they go free-swimming.

And yes, get the magnifying glass! I bought one right after my eggs made it, to observe them more closely. You'll love your magnifying glass, especially when they go free-swimming!

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom