Removing cycled media from new tank

Bettanewb78
I recently set up a 29g and used 2 established sponge filters (only 1 was hooked to airline) to cycle the tank (plus bottled bb). It's been 10 days and I added 2 pepper corys day one and 3 or 4 days later added 3 Venezuelan corys. I have 12 pygmy corys to add as well but haven't yet. I'm wondering went I should add the pygmy and if it would be safe to take out one of the sponge filters to set up my new betta tank. Thank you, any advice appreciated!

Betta'sAnonymous
I would wait a couple of weeks. Are both sponge filters hooked up now?

Bettanewb78
No, one is hooked up but the splitter just wasn't working for me to hook up both. I have a Tetra Whisper 40 HOB on there too

JustAFishServant
Seeded media is the best way to cycle a tank, at least in my (and many others') experience. Generally, if it's properly seeded, you only need to let it sit for 24 hours for stock to be added. Bottled bacteria isn't necessary but I like to add it anyway, just in case. The most important thing to keep in mind is flow. Beneficial bacteria is aerobic, meaning they need oxygen - and plenty of it - in order to survive, although they'll usually be fine for 12-24 hours without it if need be.

Hook the filter up, let it run, and you should be fine. Good luck! :)

Betta'sAnonymous
Bettanewb78 said:
No, one is hooked up but the splitter just wasn't working for me to hook up both. I have a Tetra Whisper 40 HOB on there too
You should try a gang valve. Mine works GREAT at running 2 sponge filters on one pump!

But yeah, if you move the one that is hooked up, shouldn't be an issue to use it for a betta tank. I currently have 2 sponge filters running in all my tanks. Plus, 2 tanks with an HOB as well. Simply because i always want to have that seeded filter or media on hand for use in a quarantine or hospital tank or want to set up a new tank. Even have extra sponge filters to put in place when i do move one...to start seeding another one all over again! Goals to shoot for if you think you may end up with multiple tanks :)

Bettanewb78
Betta'sAnonymous said:
You should try a gang valve. Mine works GREAT at running 2 sponge filters on one pump!

But yeah, if you move the one that is hooked up, shouldn't be an issue to use it for a betta tank. I currently have 2 sponge filters running in all my tanks. Plus, 2 tanks with an HOB as well. Simply because i always want to have that seeded filter or media on hand for use in a quarantine or hospital tank or want to set up a new tank. Even have extra sponge filters to put in place when i do move one...to start seeding another one all over again! Goals to shoot for if you think you may end up with multiple tanks :)
Yes that's what I was doing but I flaked and left the media (ceramic balls in my hob) from the 10 gal I broke down in a bucket of water without an airstone. So that's probably dead now. I figure I'll give that a good rinse in dechlorinated water and put it on the betta tank with the sponge also.

I didn't wait 24 hours to add my fish, only 2 pepper corys to start but before I added them I tested the water and it was 0 ammonia 0 nitrites and 5 nitrates, parameters have been stable and I used my bottled bacteria for 7 days also. I wait a bit to add the rest of my corys and do the bb routine again just to be safe. I notoriously impatient.

Top Bottom