Removing Carbon From Filter Cartridges To Use Plant Fertilizer?

I’m in the process of setting up my new Aqueon MiniBow 5 gallon. My live plants will be here on Saturday, and I bought some liquid plant fertilizer for them called Thrive S, I got the S version because I plan on having shrimp. Anyway the filter cartridges used for this tank contain carbon, and I was wondering if that would affect the plant fertilizer I plan on using? If so can I just tear a hole in the filter cartridge and remove the carbon? Also I don’t plan on replacing the cartridge every month like Aqueon recommends, I realize that would remove all of the beneficial bacteria from my filter. So I won’t be replacing the cartridge until it’s falling apart and no longer usable. Thanks!

Solution
I have a Fluval Flex 15 and a Fluval Spec 5, both of which came with carbon. I removed it on both aquariums and replaced with seachem purigen (had to cut part of the sponge on the Spec 5 to make space) and the purigen definitely doesn't absorb ferts. I've been dosing daily and plants are thriving. It will however absorb meds just like the carbon so you'll have to take it out when you need to treat your tank. You can also bleach treat the purigen so you'll be able to keep re-using it.
Most people remove the carbon before they use the cartridges. It really isnt necessary unless you are trying to remove a smell or medications after treatment. If the filter has been in for 30+ days the carbon is probably already used up.

If you are just setting it up maybe you can get rid of the cartridges and get some regular bio media for it. Then you never have to change it, just squeeze a sponge at water change time.
Heres a link
Diy Media Guide For Top Fin Silenstream, Aquaclear And Other Hob Filters | Aquarium Filter Forum | 385506

Great idea! I’m not sure what type of filter media will fit in this filter. It’s not like a traditional HOB filter. It’s really limited space. I suppose a thin small sponge might fit but that would be all, would that be sufficient?
Most people remove the carbon before they use the cartridges. It really isnt necessary unless you are trying to remove a smell or medications after treatment. If the filter has been in for 30+ days the carbon is probably already used up.

If I remove the carbon would it be worth it to fill the cartridge with something like Seachem Matrix, or is the empty cartridge enough by itself?

I have a Fluval Flex 15 and a Fluval Spec 5, both of which came with carbon. I removed it on both aquariums and replaced with seachem purigen (had to cut part of the sponge on the Spec 5 to make space) and the purigen definitely doesn't absorb ferts. I've been dosing daily and plants are thriving. It will however absorb meds just like the carbon so you'll have to take it out when you need to treat your tank. You can also bleach treat the purigen so you'll be able to keep re-using it.

Solution
Top Bottom