Removing and cleaning tank with fry

ladygodiva35

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Currently the fry are it a breeding net in the main 10 gallon tank. My mom just bought me a new tank to put all the babies in. The main tank is in need of a total water change.

Is it okay to move them? They are 4 days old now. My sister said to set up the new tank and let it run 24 hours before putting them in.

ladygodiva35

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
How long does it take to get a brand new tank fully cycled? I want to be 100% sure and not take any chances.

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The quickest and probably most efficient way is to use something seeded from your main tank, like filter material (if you can) or a sponge filter. You'd probably want to monitor the water parameters for 1-2 weeks to make sure everything is good and then add the fry to the tank.

You could also try using Tetra SafeStart, but lots of users have didn't opinions about how long it takes to cycle a tank, so once again, you'd have to test the water for 1-2 weeks, possibly longer.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
FWIW, I added TSS to my tank 5g the morning after adding 5 fry and it's still not cycled two weeks later.

If you have a regular hang-on-the-back filter in your main tank you can either put a sponge over the intake tube and/or put the filter media for the new tank in with the existing media for a week or two to build up the good bacteria. Then you can use the sponge as a sponge filter or a cover for the HOB filter and/or use the media you've been "cookin'" in your existing tank. You definitely need a sponge filter or some type of cover over a HOB filter intake if you have fry swimming freely--trust me...

-Lisa

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom