Removing An Older Filter?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Levibeast, Apr 8, 2017.

1. L

Levibeast Valued Member Member

Okay so I got a filter included with my kit for my 10g tank, but I don't like it too much. I added a 2nd sponge filter a couple of weeks ago. I'm wondering when will it be okay for me to remove my first filter. My tank is cycled now or really close to it. Thanks!

2. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Just put the cycled media from your old filter into your new filter.
    Or, wait a month or a little bit more before removing the old filter.

3. OP
    OP
    L

My first filter was an internal filter and my sponge filter doesn't really seem to have a place to put anything.

4. BeanFish

Then keep both running and turn off the old one after a month or more.
    You can try grabbing some cycled media from the internal filter and somehow sticking it to the sponge filter, I think that should make the process faster.

5. OP
    OP
    L

So my internal filter has these packets inside, that look like mesh covering rocks or something, is that the cycled media?

6. bgclarke

bgclarke Well Known Member Member

What colour are the rocks?
    If they are black that is charcoal.

What brand filter came with your kit?

7. BeanFish

It is charcoal, do you have any other bag with something like a sponge or filter floss? There should be some bacteria in the charcoal, try sticking it to the sponge filter if that is the only thing you have.

8. OP
    OP
    L

I have the Grreat Choice Aquarium kit from PetSmart. It's the one that is included I guess.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice