Remove Cloudy Water?

Discussion in 'Cloudy Aquarium Water' started by XenoMarc, Apr 9, 2017.

1. XenoMarc

XenoMarcValued MemberMember

Hello.
    After starting my cycle with neon tetras (which I explained in my other thread), the water is still quite cloudy. This is probably due to the fact we didn't wash the sand (which I regret) since my parents said there is no need as the fish store people said not to.
    Can I have some advice to make the water clearer please?
    Thank you.

2. grantm91

grantm91Fishlore VIPMember

What filter are you running i had this problem and easily cured it with this IMG_1612.JPG

Simple filter floss it will catch the extra fine particles include some in your filter and change it every few days you could also do s little daily water change.

3. James17

James17Well Known MemberMember

As stated above, and also just have patience, it will clear.

4. OP
    OP
    XenoMarc

Thanks for the replies guys. The problem is that since it's so cloudy, I can't see my neon tetras and I don't know if they're hiding and they're hard to see when I try to feed them.

Thanks for tip, I have this filter:  

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2017
  5. grantm91

IMG_0815.JPG

There you go

6. AllieSten

AllieStenFishlore VIPMember

Is that egg foam? I was looking for regular sponges at Target, and couldn't find anything I liked. I didn't even think to look at egg foam. I knew we couldn't use regular kitchen sponges since they have anti-bacterial properties. Where did you get it? (The lighter green foam/sponge)

7. grantm91

@AllieSten It came in a pack of 3 they are pond filter foams, you get fine medium and coarse the light green one you ask about is the fine.

8. AllieSten

Thanks!! I have a pond store that I always forget about. They may be better than my lfs. Definitely heading there this weekend.

9. grantm91

Its all i use for my filters, would be so expensive buying media from say juwel or fluval.

10. AllieSten

Yeah I got my prefilter sponges from PetCo, and although not super spendy, the regular sponges were too much. I was definitely looking for a cheaper option

@XenoMarc I did the exact same thing with my sand. Didn't rinse it well enough. Super cloudy tank. So you should do 50% water changes for 3 days straight. This will physically remove the sand from the water, replacing it with non-sandy water. Secondly when doing the water change, take your filter media out (what you place into your actual filter) and rinse it gently in the dirty tank water. Never rinse your media in tap water. You need to be sure to be using a dechlorinator for all water changes also. The sand is going to block your filter media from filtering the water properly so rinsing it is essential. Don't throw it away, just place it back into your filter. Be firm but gentle, you don't want to break it. (Been there done that, was not fun)

Hope this helps. Good luck! (Sorry for hijacking your post with my questions)

11. OP
    OP
    XenoMarc

Thanks for the help! I've been doing 20% water changes every two days and I clean the filter in the aquarium water every other day and now the water is clearer than before! :)

12. AllieSten

Ohhh so glad to hear it! I think most of us sand users have done the exact same thing. You only make that mistake once, that is for sure. I just set up a 29 gallon a couple days ago, and rinsed my sand so well, I didn't have any sand floating around at all. I was pretty proud of myself lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice