Remove calcium from glass How Do I

1. atc84 Well Known Member Member

One of the downsides of Southern California is the hard water, which is easily proven by the white streaks on the aquarium. Now these i can get off, but on the hood, the glass part under the light is very chalked up by water spray from the filter and what not. I tried scrubbing it with steel wool with soap and hot water and it sorta helped, but didn't get all of it.

Besides ripping out the glass, what's the best way to remove these white spots from the glass? preferably a home remedy, since i don't really want to go buy something lol.

2. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

I usually soak a rag in white vinegar and wipe back and forth taking care not to drip vinegar into the aquarium. This usually works for me.

3. atc84 Well Known Member Member

sounds good, a strong acid would help remove it. Thanks for the suggestion, I usually remove the hood for when i clean it, so that shouldn't be a problem. I'll let you know how it goes. :D

4. delta5 Well Known Member Member

I fill up the side of my sink with hot water, add a cap full of bleach, and let each side of the glass soak. Clean them, rinse very good. paper towel dry.

5. celizabethh3 Member Member

+1 for the white vinegar. I have terribly hard water and the calcium loves to build up on the plastic coverings for the bulbs. Vinegar does the trick for me though!

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

atc84, were you able to resolve your hard water deposit issue ?

7. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

What about at the top of the tank? I would use vinegar but I'm afraid of it dripping into the aquarium. I bought a beautiful used aquarium but it has the white on the top of the glass and the top of the sides.

8. Axelrodi202 Member Member

Careful use of a metal scraper works well for me

9. delta5 Well Known Member Member

Just wanted to say thats a nice looking min pomeranian.

10. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

He's actually a long-haired Chihuahua. But everybody thinks he's a Pom and they always think he's a girl because he's so cute.

11. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

I use a scraper made for aquariums that has a blade attached. Works like a charm.

12. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

I have one of those I guess I'll have to give it a try. Thanks